No, Everything Is Not Okay

Mrs Jackson POV

"Michael, may I speak with you?" I call.

Michael comes into the kitchen.

"Yes, Mother?"

"I want to talk about Nicole."

"What about her?"

"Do you trust her?"

"Yes."

"I don't."

"Excuse me? Mother—"

I feel really bad doing this but...

"What is it that she told you about Rebbie?"

A deep breath.

"She told me that Alessandra was talking to Rebbie and Rebbie said some very disparaging about Nicole."

"Do you believe these claims?"

"Calling someone trailer trash because their mother is white is horrendous."

"I see..." Rebbie never told me about that... oh, I hope it isn't true.

"Michael, are you speaking to your sister?"

"Nope. Nope, nope, nope. I can't, she's disgusting."

"You must really love that girl, Nicole, to let her get between you and your siblings." I purse my lips.

"I do... but even saying that about my worst enemy is pretty low."

"Why don't I call—"

"Please, Mother, I am not talking to Rebbie. And don't call Nicole, it'll be awkward."

"Oh, this is so confusing!" I put my face in my hands.

"Don't worry, Mother. Nicole likes you. She just hates Rebbie." Michael kisses my cheek and leaves.

I punch numbers into the telephone. I'll have to invite this girlfriend of Michael's over for a little talk.

Nicole POV

I find myself in front of the Hayvenhurst door again, this time meeting Mrs Jackson alone. I smooth my jacket as Katherine lets me in.

"Nicole, it's so good to see you!"

We kiss each other's cheek.

"Thank you for inviting me. Is everything okay?"

I give my coat to a maid and we go out to the backyard. There's a table under the patio, set with cloth spread out with cookies and a jar of lemonade.

"Oh wow." I'm subject to Mrs Jackson's finest treatment again but this time, I'm suspicious. She may look like an innocent woman but the wheels turn in her head very quickly.

"I just wanted to invite you over and have a little talk," Katherine explains, pouring lemonade into my glass.

"Thank you." I swallow nervously. "What is this talk about?" 

"Your relationship to my son." 

I blink a couple of times. "Oh. Michael told me you have no problem with me."

"I didn't. Now, I'm not too sure." 

"Where's Michael?"

"Where's Michael?"

"He's gone away for a few days to Indiana. His grandmother is sick."

I feel sick.

"OK, then. What is it you wanted to discuss?" I manage to be calm.

"Let's start with your family. You've grown up in a famous family and Michael can relate to you. Your mother is a well-known TV actress and your father is one of Motown's highest ranking employees. I'm not trying to be rude here but... do you understand anything about the hardships in life? We came from poverty up in Indiana—you were born into wealth—"

"Lemme stop you right there—" Just as I was about to speak, Jackie barges through the screen door.

"Oh, hey Nicole! Mother, what time is the limousine picking me up? I need to be at the mall by 5."

"He'll be here, Jackie. If you don't mind..." She beckoned at me.

After he leaves, we continue our already-tense conversation.

"So, as to answer your previous question," I begin again, "yes, I am spoiled. But when your parents' divorce is recounted daily on TV and newspapers, and your whole life is shattered, few things matter to you. My siblings and I have gone through a lot but we lead our private lives at home. I may have this veneer on of eternal happiness and naïveté, but believe me it's a cover-up."

Katherine huffs through her nose. She looks not mad, but... a little sad? Then it disappears.

"I'm just really protective of my children, that's all. Michael's special, you know." She chuckles.

I sit stone still. I don't care what Michael's said about how great his parents are, or the rest of his family. I just want to go home and never return here again.

"Anyways, another concern of mine is your materialism. You wear $300 shoes every other day. The last time I saw you, your dress cost $1,200."

"What do the price of my shoes have to do with you??" I yelled in exasperation, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Nicole," Katherine warns, "please listen to me. It's not your spending habits that are worrying me—nor is your life. I'm worried because I find you too... out there. You have a troubling record—arrests, your brother ran away, you were smoking... a lot of things about you worry me."

I'm shaking my head very slowly, not believing this discussion we're having.

"I'm worried that you won't be a good wife to Michael, or even be faithful," Katherine concludes.

I shrug my shoulders. "I honestly don't care what you think of me. If Michael loves me, he won't listen to you. If he does... I'll move on. Are we done?"

I get up before she can say anything and walk quickly back into the house. I ignore LaToya's and Jackie's questions and finally leave, hopping into my car at the front. I rev up the engine and speed off, tears trickling down my cheeks.

I'm calling Michael. I can't believe he set me up for this.