Now I look Into Ur Eyes, I can See 4 EVER (Dad Disagrees)

"Nicole! Get down here!"

I run down the stairs to Dad's office. He's back, his usual gruff self, seated behind his desk in a gray suit.

"Close the door and sit down." 

I obey and wait for the next words

"Michael called." Dad frowns, tossing around paperwork.

"And?"

"He wants to know if we can get on the same page again."

"So do I." That was a little cheeky—I get a look and stay silent.

"Michael's planning to marry you, huh?"

"Did he say that?" I look at Dad's face. He's frowning down at the papers still.

"No. I can tell, however, since the boy keeps apologizing."

I give a small smile.

"What do you think? Should I let him marry you?"

"You know what I'm going to say Dad—yes!"

"I disagree. I think not. Now's not the time. Later on, yes."

My heart gives a little flutter. "Later on, yes?"

"Mhmm. That's what I just said. Anyways, the board wants to know when he'll release his next album so we can plan a tour soon. You heard about it? Oh, yes. It'll be the Jacksons all together again, going on a national and world tour."

My heart sinks. "World tour?"

"You didn't know? Well, we want them to go on a world tour, so they can perform old and new songs. Especially from Michael's new album. He wants to call it Starlight but I told him to change the name."

"What about me? Us? My future with Michael?"

"Listen, Nicole. The market could care less about your personal life. You and Mike will just have to wait."

Dad called him Mike... they're friends again?

I shake my head. "So, if Michael produces this album, he's obligated in his contract to do a world tour?"

"Nope. We just want him to. We're in the process of persuasion. The rest of the Jackson clan thinks it's a fantastic idea. Joseph's very enthusiastic about it."

"Yeah, well, that's Joseph!" I exclaim. "The guy's always enthusiastic when there's an extra buck to be made."

"What's wrong with that?"

"I'm trying to tell you," I insist, "that Mike can produce the album and even go on a six-month national tour if he wants. But he's marrying me, and he cannot go on a world tour!"

"And who's asking you?"

"You are and I'm telling you exactly what I want. Go ask Michael yourself. Go ahead, pick up the phone."

Dad picks up the white receiver and punches in numbers.

"We'll see who's right... uh, hello? Hey, Joseph, is Michael there? Okay, thank you."

Dad puts the receiver down and hits the speaker button.

"Hello?" Michael's voice says.

"Michael? It's Connor. I know we just talked over an hour ago, but I need to ask you a very important question."

"Shoot."

"Will you be willing to produce your album, go on a national tour, and even participate in a world tour? With you and all your brothers?"

I curl up onto the seat and fold my arms.

"Uhhh... yeah Joseph, I'm talking to him... can you leave... thank you.... Sorry, Connor—"

"No worries, go ahead."

"I don't think a world tour would be a good idea... I'm having doubts about the national tour, too... but I need to work out some things first before I go anywhere."

"That means me," I whisper, pointing to myself.

"Michael, we're very disappointed, but I think you'll come around." Dad is annoyed, ha-ha.

"Yeah, well, if you would just let me marry Nicole, maybe I could go on the world tour, because, you know, she would be with me and there would be no problem."

I gasp, covering my mouth.

"Michael, you just made me lose a bet."

"Hi, Michael," I call.

"Oh, hey Nicole," Michael chuckles. "I'll call you later, 'kay baby?"

"Sure."

Dad clicks the receiver off.

"Leave!" he snaps. I run out the room, turning to stick my tongue out at him.