ACT 13

ACT 13

The only sound that can be heard in the wide bedroom is the quiet hum of the air conditioner and the muffled tweeting of the birds outside the house. At the center of the room, a black and red king-size bed is placed, and laying on top of it is a dazed redhead.

Emerald eyes blankly stared straight at the ceiling of the room. For the first time in her whole life, Katarina feels so empty. Even when her mother had left them and chose to live a life that they were unfortunately not included in, she didn't feel this frozen. Currently, she felt like she's some sort of empty shell, waiting for the time to let her fade away in a contradicting chaotic peace.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

She merely blinked and kept her stare straight, ignoring the fact that the door of her bedroom opened soon after the three knocks. In all honesty, she doesn't even care if her little visitor is a serial killer. Thankfully though, it wasn't a murderer.

Cassiopeia idled at the doorway for a moment, a bit surprised that Katarina hasn't shoved the door close at her face. The younger Du Couteau decided to step inside the room, closing the door behind her. Cassiopeia stopped just at the foot of the bed, placing her weight on one leg and crossing her arms as she audited Katarina's present state.

"It feels like it was just the other day that I caught you having sex with our father's business partner's daughter." Cassiopeia then feigned a shocked expression. "Oh, wait, it was just the other day."

"What do you want, Cass?" Katarina asked in a toneless voice.

Cassiopeia quirked an eyebrow, finding her behavior rather unusual. "Well, right now, I want to know why you chose to stay here in your room and decided to settle in having air for breakfast and lunch."

"I'm not hungry."

"Sure you aren't." Cassiopeia sarcastically snorted in return. She sat just a hand away from Katarina's feet, leaning on her right hand, which she used as some sort of stand. "How are you and Winters?"

Just by the mention of Ashe, Katarina flinched, remembering what the mentioned female had looked like before she had left the motel. Of course Cassiopeia noticed the reaction in no time.

"Katarina, what did you do?" Cassiopeia immediately questioned, eyeing her with a mild glare.

Instead of answering, Katarina covered her eyes with her forearm and asked back, "I need to ask you something."

Cassiopeia felt like Katarina's trying to dodge her question, but she properly responded back to her older sibling's question nonetheless. "What is it?"

"What's it like to love someone?" There's​ no reason why Katarina should beat around the bush, so she decided to be straightforward with her question.

Her sister raised an eyebrow at her for the second time. "Are you seriously going to ask me about that?"

"Just tell me what it feels like." Katarina muttered, finally sitting up on the bed.

"What is this, therapy?"

Katarina stared.

Cassiopeia sighed, seeing Katarina is actually a hundred percent serious with her query. "I'm going to base my answer from my relationship with Shauna right now."

"Just answer the question."

"For me, loving Shauna is as good as it gets. Whenever I feel lonely or just plain bored, I have her to keep myself occupied. I know that whenever I need someone, she's just one call away."