The Queen of Raviena - The Selfish Wife

I woke up the next morning with Alex's arm still round my waist. I carefully moved it to his side and sneaked off to the bathroom. I stood in front of the mirror and stared at my reflection. I brushed through my dark locks quickly and let them fall round my shoulders. I felt guilty and angry at myself. All Alex had done was be nice to me so far and I had rejected him even if he did not yet know it. I could not postpone it any longer; tonight had to be the night. I washed and went into the walk in closet. Before we wed the King had measured me and had dresses made so I had a full closet before I arrived here. I pulled out a full length sky blue summery dress which went in at my waist and contrasted with my dark hair and dark brown eyes. I knew there were maids to help dress me but I always felt more comfortable dressing myself. I went back into the bedroom to see Alex sat up in bed staring into space. When he heard me he looked up. 

"Good morning." He said softly 

"Good morning." I wasn't sure what else to say. 

"You must have been really tired last night, you fell asleep and I couldn't wake you up." He smiled slightly 

"I'm sorry, just all the travelling must of worn me out."  

"I understand completely." He smiled at me. 

The fact that he was being so nice did not help. In fact it made things worse. I began to feel even more guilty. He got up and out of bed and walked over to me. He kissed me lightly on the cheek and wrapped his arm round my waist. When he pulled away it seemed like he was smiling to himself. I stood there looking at him half naked. After a while I looked up at him and smiled.  

"Are you hungry?" 

I nodded. 

"I need to get dressed but you should go down to the dining room to get some food. I shall meet you downstairs. Its down two flights of stairs and the first door on the right." 

He let go of me and went into the walk in closet. I walked down the stairs and took the first door to the right and as Alexander said I was in a beautiful dining room. The place was filled with candles and on the ceiling hung a beautiful chandelier. The table was large with a deep red table cloth across it. Sat at the table already was Marcus with a novel and a bowl of something. When he heard the door close he looked up from his book. 

"Well hello there cousin. Please do take a seat. This book was starting to get dull anyway."  

I took a seat next to him. 

"Are you hungry?" 

"Very." He smiled back at me. 

"Matilda!" He called rather rudely. 

In rushed a pretty girl with blonde curls and blue eyes and a petite figure except for her chest, which was rather large. 

"Yes sir?" 

"My cousin here is very hungry. What can she eat." I noticed his eyes focus on her chest and not her face which made me feel uncomfortable. 

She turned to me "We have your regular fry up Miss, the usual bacon, sausage and eggs. You can have scones that the cooks made this morning or she can make something up for you now."  

"Could I have a fry up please." 

"The works miss?" She frowned slightly 

"Yes please." I smiled at her. 

"Only be a while miss." And off she rushed again. 

"The portions are quite big, are you sure you can manage my dear cousin." 

"Of course I can manage, I'm a big eater." 

"I must say you do not look it." 

"I hide it well." 

He laughed heartily and placed his hand on my knee. The door opened and in came Alex. 

"Good morning Alex, your wife is absolutely charming I must say." 

I turned round to see Alex frowning at his hand on my leg. 

"Well, stay away from her!" 

"Pardon?" Marcus's face looked confused. 

"I know what you are like Marcus, and I would not want you to cause any problems in our marriage." 

"Now my dear cousin, you must understand, I only go for women who are unhappy in the relationships they are currently in. I shall do no harm to a happy marriage. So unless you have reason to believe your wife is unhappy with you then you should not feel threatened." Alex blushed a deep red against his fair skin. "Well, do you have a reason to feel threatened?" 

Alex's face reddened even more and he stared down at the floor. 

"Well cousin?" 

I looked up at Alex's reddening face and then turned to Marcus who had a sly smirk appearing on his face.  

"Of course he has no reason to feel threatened, he knows I care for him very much." 

"Is that so? Well then Alex, I do not understand why you were getting all hot and bothered about this."  

With that Alex came and sat next to me smiling. Marcus turned round and shouted out loudly. 

"Matilda where's my cousins breakfast!" 

I looked at Alex and he smiled lightly at me. 

Finally my massive plate of breakfast arrived and I started to eat.

After finishing all of my breakfast Alex asked if I would like to go on a walk of the grounds. I of course accepted and Marcus bid us goodbye with the words. 

"Try not to bore her too much." 

We walked out through the back door hand in hand. I stared in astonishment at the stunning gardens. We walked silently for a while and then he stopped. I turned around to look at him. 

"What you said at breakfast this morning, did you really mean it or were you just saving my embarrassment?" 

I looked up at him "Of course I meant it." 

He frowned "Then why did you not wake up last night." I went to speak but he interrupted "Do not lie to me. You are not only a very bad actress but also a very bad liar."  

I was confused as to what I should say so I just gazed at the floor. 

"I understand you were nervous and frightened but do you not think I felt the same? I put aside my negative feelings so as to please you and for some silly reason I thought you might of done the same and not of been so selfish." 

I was shocked, and very angry. "Well Alexander, what about what I have had to give up. My home, my country, my friends, my family. So if you think of me as being selfish then I must correct you. I am not selfish, I have given up an awful lot for this marriage which you just do not seem to appreciate."  

He looked at me seriously for a while and then smiled apologetically "I am sorry, you are right. You have given up a lot. I just woke up this morning knowing that I have a wife who does not love me and I felt angry." I went to interrupt him but he continued. "Do not say you love me. If you do after spending only two days with me in our lifetime then you are fickle and I do not believe that you are." 

He leaned forward and kissed me gently on the lips. "Now let us ignore this little argument and carry on our tour of the grounds."  

As we walked off I saw Marcus leaning on a tree with a big grin on his face and as we walked past he winked at me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading, if you like it then vote and comment. I really want to hear what you think. If you think its crap then just say so and If you think its good then its nice to hear so too. But if you don't like it then be constructive i don't just want to here "It was rubbish." Tell me why so i can improve

Shade xxxx