Chapter fifty two

They take her away and I don't get up, she's strapped to a board and I've got more of her blood than she does. She's broken and torn and I just sit here.
"Sir? Sir are you hurt, what vehicle were you in?" A woman asks me shining a light in my eyes.
"My wife, that was my wife" I cry.
"Is any of this blood yours? Are you hurt?" She asks again.
"No, I was in the other car. She saved me" I sob.
"Okay sir, can you stand? We need to get you to the hospital"
"I did it, I killed them" I mumble looking at the broken windshield covered in blood, I'm taking the blame for this.
"Can you tell me what happened?"
I look up, not a cop, an ambo. I don't say anything and she lays me down in the ambulance.
"Bentley?!" A voice calls out.
"Loz?" I call not seeing her.
"Oh fuck kid? Are you...?" Lauren gasps and climbs in after me. "Lets go!" She bangs on the side and the doors are shut and we move.
"Ellie, oh god Ellie!" I sob losing my breath.
"Cole where are you hurt?" Lauren asks as a guy cuts away my red suit.
"I was knocked on the head, it doesn't matter. Ellie is dead" I hold my head because it's going to explode.
"Masters, hospital now. Close family only" Lauren croaks into her phone.
"Cooper, they stabbed him" I mumble.
"Good stay there, we're coming in" she shakes her head. "You need to trust me kid, what trouble are you in?"
"I can't find a source of the blood, it's not his"
"It's Ellie's, she saved me" I close my eyes and cry.
"Shh. Just rest" Lauren whispers.

Sirens blur in my mind and my head spins, fifteen minutes ago my wife danced slow in my arms, now.... oh god.
"Blood pressure is low, nerve response is good. Low priority. You can take him to see her just don't leave the hospital" the ambo tells Lauren.

I'm moved from the bed and dressed in a gown, I just want my Red.
I'm put in a wheelchair and rolled out. We get to the hall and Beth sees me first. I hear her scream and she lifts my face.
"Ellie?!" Jace begs and I sob.
"They took her, I don't know where. She's dead" I can't breathe and I grip my hair.
"No... no" Jace stumbles and Beth holds him up.
"Jace we don't know that, the doctors have her in theatre. All I know is that they haven't given up" Lauren speaks over my crying.
"Bug?!" Izzy calls out skidding into he hall and runs to me.
"Oh god Izzy?" I sob and she throws herself into my lap.
I hold her and cry, I don't know what to do.
"Tell me you're okay?" Iz checks me over.
"No, I'm not okay. I need her Iz. She can't be dead" I beg.
"Cole..?" Iz looks at me and then Lauren.
"We don't know, I haven't seen her. Cole was with her, she has lost a lot of blood" Lauren fills them in.
"Go, I'll check on Coop and come right up" Izzy tears up.
She stands and I let her go.
"He's good?" I ask.
"He's being stitched up, he's going to be okay" Iz nods and Lauren wheels me to the elevator.
"This can't be happening" Jace mumbles.
"Just hold on Jace, she might be okay" Beth cries softly holding onto her husband.
"She wasn't scared, not even a little. There was so much blood it was coming from everywhere, she was choking on it. She was smiling at me when she died" I tell nobody and Jace sobs.
"What the fuck happened tonight?" Lauren demands.
"They came for me, only me. It was supposed to be me" I tell her.
"Who did?" Lauren gets in my face.
"They were some of mine but they worked for hers, I should've killed him when I had the chance. I didn't want her to hate me"
"Who?"
"It doesn't matter now, I killed him" I mumble.
"Shut up Cole. You're confused, in shock. That wasn't a confession" Jace growls.
The doors open and Lauren stands.
"I'm not questioning him, I want to know who to fry over this" she pushes me the way the sign on the wall tells us to go.

Ellie's parents come maybe an hour later but I can't look at them, Jessie comes too and she sits on my lap and cries. I stroke her hair that looks like Ellie's but I don't take my eyes off the doors.
"My wife's in there" I sob for the hundredth time.
"She's going to be okay" Jessie whispers.
I can't take anymore, I need to see her.
"Is this yours or hers?" Jessie asks taking my hands.
"It's all hers, it's all I have left" I cry and stare at the wedding band on my finger. "My Ellie" I shudder.
"No, she's going to be fine" Jessica sobs into my neck and I resume stroking her hair.
I keep stroking till she becomes still and I think she's fallen asleep.