Chapter thirty nine

Shopping with Ellie is .... different. Shopping with Ellie is fun, normal everyday mundane things she just seems to bring excitement to. I watch her skip down the racks in her faded black skinny jeans and chucks, a ripped black tee that says I like the bad boys then like is crossed out and over top is scrawled lick. Her hair is out today and a puffy mess, she looks incredible.
"Stop!" She orders pulling out a indigo blue suit from a row of black.
"Is it going to explode?" I raise my hands in caution mocking her.
"Oh yes, baby you're so trying this one on" she tosses it at me carefree and I follow behind her to find an appropriate shirt and apparently tie.
"Beth didn't say it's formal dress sweetheart, you sure I need a suit?" I say as I eye the ties warily.
"Uh, duh. Godparents here. We're showing respect" Ellie shakes her head at me indulgent like I should know better.
"You're the boss" I sigh and let her go.
She tosses a white shirt and matching blue tie at me and I smile without complaint, seriously I kinda like her fussing.
"Now just because I was told not to...... here, these!" Ellie holds up a hair of brown leather shoes that look way too pointy for me. "Oh and this" Ellie giggles finding me the matching belt.
"You don't like authority do you?" I chuckle.
"No I love it, as long as it's me who has it" Ellie tells me and I laugh out loud, I'm pretty sure I've heard those words before. "What?" Ellie asks with the most beautiful smile.
"I love you Red" I juggle my load to hold the back of her hair and kiss for forehead.
"I love you too baby boy, come on lets find me a dress" she beams up at me and pulls me along by the tee shirt.

Thank god Ellie knows what she likes, and today she likes matching outfits. It doesn't take long but she manages to find an indigo blue dress with a white collar and gold buttons down the front, it reminds me of those rockabilly dresses and Ellie pairs it with really high white heels.
I'm struggling with my tie as I come out of the change room, my lady is twirling her dress in the full length mirrors right outside my door.
"Babe, what the fuck am I doing wrong here?" I say with a frustrated laugh.
"Well first of all you're not kissing me Sexy" her face lights up when she sees me.
I love that, like fucking love that.
"Then you better get your ass over here" I grin and wrap my arms around her waist and lift so her tippy toes are just off the ground and her face is level with mine.

I kiss her without reservation, my tongue tracing the seam of her lips causing them to open. I kiss her deeply and lovingly, passionately and so fucking horny.
"I'm buying you this dress, you look fucking amazing" I groan kissing her some more.
"Then I'm buying you that suit, I'm fucking drooling and I haven't even got a glimpse of that ass" Ellie giggles and steps back to twirl for me.
"We look like we were made to be together Elle" I sigh looking at us side by side in the mirror.
"We look so good, we feel so good. Just being with you, holding your hand or watching you drive... everything feels so good" Ellie tells my reflection almost shyly.
"I hate shopping, but just hanging out with you this weekend, even shopping is so much fun. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even mind going home and cleaning the bathroom as long as I was doing it with you" I agree.
"Yeah I'm not doing that" she laughs. "Here" Ellie says quietly and pulls on my tie.
Her fingers are confident and sure as she redoes my knot the right way, her eyes are down and I watch the way her lips move with concentration.
"Don't tell me an ex taught you this, I lose my mind thinking about you with other men" I whisper.
"My daddy taught me when I was little, I helped him every time he had to put on his dress blues. He always looked so handsome you know? Seeing him dressed up made me feel like he was a hero, like he was someone special. I know it's silly but to me he had the most important job in the world, he saved lives" Ellie smiles.
"What does he do exactly?" I ask feeling so grateful she had the perfect family to raise her.
"When he was on active duty he was a frontline medic, he stitched up fallen soldiers in the field. He's trained as a solider and a doctor. Now he just works in the medical office at the training facility, treating sprained ankles and hangovers mostly, but that's how he likes it. It means he doesn't have to travel away from my mother anymore"
"And so she grew up to become her hero" I smile gently.
"I'm not a hero, I just find really gross things fascinating. You can't imagine how putting your hands into someone's open abdominal cavity feels until you do it, I've watched a human heart beating through an open chest, I've seen someone flatline with no hope and forced their heart to beat. I'm egotistical and curious, I'm nothing like daddy" Ellie blushes.
"Tell that to Beth, to Jace, tell that to number two. I've watched you be the hero on the frontline, I've watched you pick up the fallen soldier and keep everyone alive. If your father could have seen you then, I have no doubt you would be his hero too. You're my hero, you're Jace's, Beth's, even Coop and Iz think you are amazing. I agree you're egotistical and curious but you Eleanor, are exactly like your father" I assure her.