Chapter thirty two

"Baby look at me, I know that sounded really bad. I know that's what you expect from men but you don't understand, Iz and I we're not... we didn't. I would never betray you Elle" I cup her face but her eyes are a million miles away.
"I'm so stupid, I thought... I thought you'd be different. I honestly thought you loved me... I thought I was your forever, you said I was your forever. I wanted that, Cole I wanted that so bad" she doesn't look at me, she just mumbles looking out the window.
"You are Ellie, I can fix this. I was never alone with her, we we're always with a room full of people today. Cooper, Beth, even Jace, sweetheart they will tell you it wasn't like that" fuck no, I can't lose her.
"My pretty unicorn? Is this a guilt gift?" She asks placing a hand over her necklace.
"It's just a gift, something to let you know I can't stop thinking about you. I love you Ellie. I love you so much"
"Like she loves you? I couldn't stop smiling either you know, why am I so stupid?" Tears fall to her cheeks and my heart breaks.
"Ellie Keyes, I did not cheat on you. Listen to my words baby, I have not betrayed you. Iz and I we just dropped some walls today, it's hard to be so angry with her when you make me so happy. I was so happy today and we didn't fight so much, nothing is fixed between us but I lost some of the anger I hold for her. I hugged her, that's all... no that's a lie, I also kissed her hair. I'm thinking about trying to get back to friends, that's all. That's all we will ever be" I explain.
"So you kissed her because you love me?" Ellie scoffs.
"Yes... what? No. I didn't kiss her kiss her, just her hair Red I promise. This mouth is the only mouth I want, you are the only one I want" I drop my forehead to hers, she has to believe me. "I love you Elle, I need you. If you don't believe me, if you end this, it will still be you. You thought right sweetheart, you are my forever and that's how long I will wait for you. Please don't end this, don't leave me" I beg.
"You just saw what I did to the last guy who cheated on me Cole. I'm done with that. I won't stand for it. I deserve better than that, I'm worth loving. I'm fucking awesome Cole" she says getting angrier and louder with every word.
"Yes you are Ellie, you are so much better than that and that's why I would never hurt you. I tell you all the time, please believe me"
"Promise me. Look me in the eye and promise me it's not how it sounds. Tell me you aren't running away with her" she whispers holding my hands on her face.
"Ellie Keyes, I swear to fucking god it's only you. I'm so in love with you that there is no way anyone including Isabel could tempt me away from you, I promise you I'm not kissing, fucking or running away with her" I stare into her sad blue eyes and feel like shit because I'm so used to seeing them sparkle with happiness.
"Do you know how much I love you? Do you know it would kill me?" Her eyes close and her breath is warm, I want to kiss her so bad.
"Yes, yes sweetheart I do. It's you and me baby I promise" I whisper and place my lips on hers.
"Cole" she breathes and her hands slide from mine to my face.
"I love you Ellie" I kiss her slow and soft.
"Don't do that to me, I'm begging you" her quiet voice breaks my heart.
"Never, you are so precious to me. I need you" I kiss her deeper and she kisses me back hesitant and uncertain.
I pull away and look at her beautiful face.
"The secret? Will you tell me?" She asks hurt.
"I'd rather not, the timing isn't right. The secret is mine, it has nothing to do with Izzy. I want to surprise you" I swallow.
"Cole" she groans and I sigh with a nod.
"I love you Ellie, I was so excited and happy today that even Iz couldn't bring me down. I was so happy because that unicorn wasn't the only thing I bought for you today, I was so excited to make you mine" I tell her and she pulls her face back to look at me.
"Cole?" She breathes.
"Baby don't make me say it, I want to do this right. You deserve romance and surprise" I smile.
"Oh shit, oh no" she groans. "Boy am I sitting here accusing you of being unfaithful while you were buying me a ring?" She gasps and I close my eyes trying not to smile.
"I plead the fifth on that one, if you were I would understand sweetheart, I would say it's my fault for not doing a better job loving you"
"Can anyone verify that you can't answer the question?"
"Coop and Izzy, Jace and Beth, even Jess and your father could tell you they know nothing about anything. I swear to god baby you were the only thing on my mind all day"
"Oh Cole, oh god I'm so sorry" Ellie grimaces and kisses me hard, I feel so much relief and I kiss her just as hard. "Fuck we can't just sit here, we need to leave" she gasps and lets me go so she can drive. "Shuffle songs" Ellie tells the car and my music starts to play.
She pulls back onto the road singing happily to Guns n' Roses and my head spins from the quick change of mood, this woman is going to keep things interesting that's for fucking sure.