Have Courage, Kurt.

Warnings: major character death, mentions of canonical character death(s), mentions of minor character death. Long story short, death. But dw, I suck at writing death.

>.<

"I love you, Kurt."

"Don't do this," the other man cried out, strengthening his hold on his husband's hand, caressing the simple silver ring. "Not now."

"Why not?"

"Because you're in a hospital bed for God's sake! With cancer!"

"So I'm not allowed to tell you I love you?" Blaine countered.

"You - I... I love you too," Kurt let his head drop on his lover's chest. It felt like his whole world was ending, which was harshly ironic considering the circumstances. He only lifted his head up from its position when he heard the door gently click open, revealing Carole, who was clutching the hand of a child on either side of her. She was barely holding back tears opposed to Kurt whose face was a mess of tears and puffy eyes.

Hepburn ran right up to the hospital bed and Kurt took the boy in his lap. He put his own tiny hand on top of his dad's, which was holding that of Blaine's too tightly. The action caused him to loosen his grip and wrap his other arm around his son, only six years old.

Tracy went to stand next to the bed, only sitting down when her father patted it. She couldn't cry, no, she had to stay strong for Kurt.

"It's okay to cry, sweetie," Blaine rasped out as if he could tell what she was thinking. "I mean, look at your father."

"What's that supposed to mean? I'm an ugly crier?" The response came from his husband with the intent of sounding jokey but it was on the verge of seeming accusatory.

"How many times do I have to tell you, even when you're crying you're beautiful too."

"Please, don't." A fresh wave of tears overtook Kurt. Hepburn had since removed his hand and started playing with Kurt's hair as if he didn't quite recognise the immediacy of the situation.

"Kurt, honey, you'll be okay. I'll be okay. I know you don't believe in Heaven but I believe that wherever I end up, I'll find Finn and Burt. Maybe I'll find your mother too." Blaine looked up at Carole and she stepped up to him.

"You were like a son to me."

"And you were like a mother to me, when my own family neglected me. You're strong, be strong for Kurt. Be strong for Tracy and Hepburn." She nodded and stepped back. He turned to his children, "Give Papa a kiss and go to Grandma?"

The did, both pecking him on cold cheeks. Despite Kurt's warnings, Hepburn still threw himself at his Papa, knocking the air out of him but causing him to laugh anyway. His sister, older by only two years, wrapped her father up in a kinder embrace and lingered a second before turning back to her grandmother. Her eyes stung with the unshed tears that would fall hours later, cuddling with her dad on the couch Blaine had picked out, smelling candles Blaine bought, and listening to Blaine's favourite playlist.

The eight-year-old girl quickly ran back to her father to give him one last hug and then she was gone.

"How are you so calm about all of this?"

"I have to be."

"No, no you don't. I should be the calm one but instead, instead I'm -"

Kurt was shushed by his husband. "It's okay. Wanna know a secret?" He received a tiny nod so he continued, "I'm freaking out internally."

"You don't have to be the mature one here, not now." He was quieted again. "Can-can I lay with you?"

*

The older man was singing softly in his partner's ear, so quiet it could only be heard by Blaine. His crying had evened out and he was no longer breathing heavily.

You were my strength when I was weak

You were my voice when I couldn't speak

You were my eyes when I couldn't see

You saw the best there was in me

Lifted me up when I couldn't reach

You gave me faith 'cuz you believed

I'm everything I am

Because you loved me

He stopped suddenly to ask a question, "How long ago did they take you off of life support?"

"I don't know, honey."

"But -"

"Can you do one thing for me?"

The lighter haired man responded quickly, "I'll do anything except promise you that I'll move on."

"Then I won't ask you to, although I would love it if you found a nice g- okay, too soon. But do one thing for me; have courage, Kurt. Courage."

"You're cruel."

"But I'm yours."

"You bastard. You may as well be a walking cheese." He froze when he realised Blaine wouldn't be walking again, "I, oh my God, I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"It's not."

"It is," Blaine breathed out, starting to feel the oxygen escaping his lungs. "Courage, Kurt."

"No! Don't leave me! Stay with me! God, Blaine, not now! Don't..." He trembled and leaned down, meeting cold lips.

>.<

Well shit.

I kind of accidentally sort of prompted this myself.

P.S. I didn't edit this because it was kind of painful to read so I apologise for the mistakes :-)