Church

If you're likely to be affected by strong opinions on God/the Church/religion, please don't read

If you're likely to be affected by strong opinions on God/the Church/religion, please don't read. I'm not saying these are my exact opinions and I'm not saying they aren't.

>.<

It didn't take long for Kurt to start wondering why he was going to church. Even at such a young age he was an avid thinker and questioned a lot.

At first, he pushed away his doubts in favour of not inconveniencing anyone. The church he went to was cute, though. The stained glass windows shimmered even in the rain and the cross sat atop the building never looked unholy, even when rusty and covered with years worth of dirt.

Studying the attendants of the church was very interesting in Kurt's eyes; a maybe middle-aged woman who spent most of her Sundays preaching and thanking God for every little thing but didn't appear to care all that much any other day. A grey, old man who looked super nice and welcoming but didn't speak more than necessary. A curly haired boy around his own age that was seemingly dragged there by his fancy looking parents and older brother, yet he was too kind to rebel. The priest, oh the priest was something different.

All the adults loved him for reasons unimaginable to the children. He constantly talked about how your faith can help you find your way and that shouldn't seem like a problem. But, he constantly talked. He never really did anything like community events or fundraisers for charity. Children like Kurt loved to help out, especially in Lima.

When his mother passed away Kurt stopped going. Not entirely because of her; the world was a mean place. If God made all people to be equal and loving and caring why were some murderers and terrorists and discriminatory? Burt seemed to understand for a reason not yet known to Kurt himself.

*

The next time he went it was because his father insisted. The Andersons (Kurt figured out they were the family with two sons) were moving away to a place called Westerville and the church was giving them a friendly send-off.

*

Through his junior year, Kurt slowly became friends with Sam Evans. At first, they were just friendly to each other as they saw one another daily. Eventually, they became quite close. Until Sam became homeless.

Kurt tried to help him as much as possible but the time came when it wasn't enough. Thankfully, one of Sam's friends from another high school offered to take him in. It was all very emotional but visits were promised. Sam's parents found a place with his two siblings. It was hard separating but Sam would be more comfortable with his friend.

Kurt's first visit to Westerville was interesting; he'd never been there before. Sam's new residence was rather big and very proper looking, pristine.