Chapter 21 - A new mate

I woke to the feeling of another's heartbeat beating against my back. Seth had curled himself around me in a protective cuddle as he pulled me closer towards him. The smell of eggs and bacon invaded my nostrils as I tried to sit up and release myself from Seth's embrace. Seth groaned in defiance as he tried to pull me back before opening his eyes and smiling at my awaiting face.

"Morning Sunshine," I laughed, crawling out of bed.

"You are awake far too early," Seth whined, covering his eyes with his arm, giving me a good look at his muscular body.

"This is a perfectly normal time to wake up," I laughed. "May I use the bathroom?" I enquired, gathering my morning essentials.

Seth waved me off as his eyes drooped and he began to fall back to sleep. As I stood in the shower, I began to consider everything that had happened and the sacrifices that these people were making for me. How my dad was still clueless to everything that was happening and how many people may get hurt trying to protect me.

A knock st the door broke me out of my trance as Leah's voice filled my ears. "Breakfast is ready when you are, Lil."

I stepped out of the shower and dressed into a simple outfit consisting of a pair of mom jeans and plain t-shirt. Tying the laces to my Vans, I went downstairs to see Seth devouring his breakfast.

"Good morning," I greeted Sue and Leah who were also sat at the table.

"Did you have a good sleep?" She asked as she gently cut into her eggs. I thanked her before Seth leaned over and pecked me on the lips but I did not miss the look of disdain wiped across Leah's face.

--

I soon found myself back home, my dad sat behind the dining table chatting away to a man I had not seen in a long while.

"Lil, you remember Robert don't you?" He asked. It clicked then that this was my dads childhood friend who he has not seen for a long time.

"Of course, it's great to see you," I smiled.

"Haven't you grown! It's hard to believe Garret is older than you," he laughed, Garret was Robert's son who I remember always playing with when I was younger, despite our 5 year age difference.

"Talking about my embarrassing childhood again, dad?" I heard a deep voice laugh from the bathroom door.

"No way is that you Garret," I laughed with shock seeping through my voice. Before me stood a man that had grown into his big front teeth and produced some muscles. He has grown a lot since I had last seen him, no longer the shortest boy his age. He was nothing on Seth, but he was undeniably attractive.

"The one and only," he laughed. "You look a lot different with actual pants on," he continued, reminiscing about the time I refused to wear pants as a child.

"Why don't you introduce Garret to your friends whilst us old men have a catch up," my dad suggested.

It wasn't long before Garret was trailing behind me on the route to Sam's house. I was nervous for him to meet the boys, in fear that they wouldn't like him.

As I entered the house, most of the pack were in their natural habitat, around the dinner table eating lunch. Seth was the first to notice me, instantly coming over to give me a kiss. His eyes suddenly snapped to Garret, a look of curiosity and possessiveness crossing his eyes. It wasn't long before the rest of the pack noticed Garret standing awkwardly in the doorway.

"Guys, this is Garret. He's a childhood friend of mine," I said, urging Garret to stand further through the threshold.

The boys all welcomed him kindly as Emily pulled up a seat and placed a plate of food in front of him. It wasn't long before Garret was stuck in conversation with the pack as myself and Emily chatted in the kitchen about a new recipe she was learning.

As the minutes passed, Leah and Quil returned from patrol bounding through the doorway. Leah stiffened on the spot as her eyes met Garret's and they were suddenly stuck in an intense stare. My eyes snapped to Seth in question where he instantly nodded in answer.

Leah had imprinted on Garret.