Chapter 16 - The Realisation

I fled. I could not understand why Seth was being possessive. Staring into his eyes, my breath caught and I ran; I did not want to deal with the look of disappointment on Seth's face as I stared at him blankly trying to find a response.

As I rushed through the hallway, I dodged the students walking my way before I finally found my locker. Taking a deep breath, I opened my locker and gripped the door whilst trying to compose myself. 

"Rough day already new girl?" I heard a familiar voice chuckle. I looked to the right and found myself staring at James' face, a smirk spread across his lips. Of course I would be locker buddies with the one guy that Seth didn't want me to be around. 

"You have no idea," I laughed, placing my bag into my new locker. The bell suddenly rang, making me aware that next lesson was about to start. I quickly scanned my schedule, seeing that I had math. 

"Anywhere I can take you?" James said, giving me an encouraging smile as he shut his locker and pulled his backpack higher up his shoulder. I handed him my schedule and smiled in thanks as he began to walk towards my next class. James made his best effort to make small talk throughout the journey, trying to make me feel as comfortable as he possibly could. 

As we finally made it to the classroom, I came to realisation that both Seth and Quil were in this class. My steps faltered as James and I initially walked through the threshold and my eyes met Seth's stormy pupils. Placing my attendance slip on the teachers desk, James grabbed my arm and dragged me to the seat next to him. 

"I hope you don't mind, I need all the help that I can get," James winked, bumping my arm. Laughing in return, I opened my new textbook and began to take notes as James poked and prodded me throughout the lesson. 

"Miss Ross, would you please come up the board and solve this equation. That is if Mr Anderson can bear to depart from you," The teacher smirked, ushering me to the board. Catcalls and laughs echoed throughput the class as I tentatively moved towards the board. 

Laughing internally, I pretended to think before solving the complex equation in less than two minutes. I turned to the teacher, handing her the pen before retaking my seat and watching her check the answer written neatly at the bottom of the board. 

"Hm. Maybe you should consider AP classes, Miss Ross," She mused, carrying on with her lesson. I blushed at the attention, looking down at my textbook.

"You look cute when you blush, new girl," James whispered in my ear. I heard a growl from the back of the classroom and numerous soothing whispers. moments before the bell rang signalling that lunch had begun. "You're welcome to sit with my friends and I during lunch if you'd like," James stated as he grabbed his belongings. 

"Thank you for the offer but I think I'm going to sit with my other friends if you don't mind," I smiled. Smiling in response, he left the room joining his friends once he got to the hallway. 

As I entered the cafeteria, I looked around finally locating the table with not only the wolves on but also Renesme. Quickly grabbing a chicken sandwich and a drink, I made my way towards the table pulling up a chair next to Renesme and across from Seth. 

"Hey! I haven't seen you all day," Renesme said whilst giving me a side hug. 

"Maybe because she's been with James all day," Seth spat from across the table. Deciding to try and resolve the situation, I smiled at him from across the table. 

"You know jealousy is a bad trait in a person, Seth. If you wanted me, you only had to say," I joked, winking at him from across the table. His cheeks flushed as he stumbled over his words. 

"I-I'm not jealous. You can see who you want," he shrugged, taking a bite out of his pizza. I couldn't help but feel my heart sink at his lack of care. Why did I want Seth to care if I saw someone else? 

"If that's the case, I'll go see if James is up for a date," I said, maintaining eye contact with him. His eyes flashed black as he tried to contain his anger. 

"See if I care," He shrugged. I picked at my sandwich, realising that everyone had obtained separate conversations during Seth and I's conversation. "Lil," I head a voice say from across the table. I looked up expecting the voice to come from Seth but instead found James standing beside Seth, catching the attention of everyone on the table. 

"I wasn't planning on asking this soon but I need to know. Would you maybe want to go out with me some time?" He asked, a hopeful look in his eye. I heard Renesme and the boys gasp from beside me and the unmistakeable sound of Seth gritting his teeth. 

"I'm really sorry James but I'm kind of holding out for someone else at the moment," I said, a look of sincere apology in my eyes. Smiling in response, James walked away from the table as everyone else's eyes looked at me in anticipation. "It's just a shame he's a possessive idiot," I said, grabbing my belongings and vacating the cafeteria.  

I realise now why I always run away from Seth. I want to be his and that scares me. I should have told him how I felt when I had the chance but I ran away and now I may have ruined my only chance. Yet here I am, running away again.