Chapter 6 - The truth

Thank you for all the reads! Enjoy!

------

I sat for the next five minutes contemplating everything that I had just been told. I'd been in this town for two days and already the tales you're told as a child turn out to be true.

"You're handling this remarkably well," Carlisle said, staring at me.

"I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this," I said, putting my head in my hands.

"There's more you should know," Edward said, wringing his hands. Next, I was told about the powers that the vampires possessed such as Edward's ability to read minds and Alice's ability to see the future. Jacob told me about the treaty that the Cullen's had made with the pack, as the wolves like to call themselves, as the Cullen's only drank blood from animals.

Over the next ten minutes, I was drilled with information about Bella's conception of Renesme whilst she was still human and the tales of the wolves turning. I wasn't surprised to find out that Sam and his clan were wolves too however I was surprised to find out that Leah was a wolf whilst Emily was not.

"Is that not dangerous for Emily?" I asked, looking towards to Jacob.

"She knows how to handle herself. We're not dangerous Lillian," I heard Seth say from my right.

"You're wolves Seth. How can she be so calm around Sam?" I asked, trying to understand the situation.

"Sam would never let anything happen to Emily. She's his imprint," Seth said, the irritation showing in his tone.

"I didn't mean any offense," I said, looking at my hands.

I had heard that word before: 'imprint.' My mind grew rushed as I tried to remember where I had heard that term before. I distinctly remember Seth saying it however I cannot remember why.

"What's an imprint?" I asked, looking up.

All eyes in the room seemed to move to Seth as his eyes widened in panic at my question. I awaited an answer as no one's eyes moved from Seth's face.

"It's a wolf thing. It's er – it's when you meet the one," Seth said, unsure of what to say.

"The one?" I asked in confusion from my seat, my eyes burning into Seth's.

"It's when you meet her. It's when you find the person that is perfect you; no one else in the world could ever compare to that person. Suddenly, this girl becomes your world; you'd do anything for her, be anything for and protect her in any way that you possibly could. You'd be a friend, a brother, a lover but there's no way to describe your imprint as anything other than a soul mate," Seth said, never losing eye contact with me.

"Is it only Sam that has imprinted?" I asked, trying to ease the tension in the air.

"No; I've imprinted on Nessie, Jared's imprinted on a girl called Kim, Quil's imprinted on a girl called Claire and Paul's imprinted on my sister," Jacob said, looking at Renesme lovingly.

I turned my attention back towards Seth. "Have you imprinted on anyone?" I asked sheepishly. He paused, a clear inner debate occurring in his head.

"Yes," he finally said.

I nodded my head, smiling. "I'm sure she's lovely," I replied. Before he could reply, I asked Edward if I would be able to go home and explain to my father about my 'trip.' I had agreed that I wouldn't tell anyone about what I had found out as it would put them in danger with the Volturi, the 'head' vampires.

"Jacob can borrow my car and drive you home as we cannot break the treaty," Edward said.

I grabbed my belongings as I prepared to go home. Seth came over, looking as though he had something to say to me. I couldn't look him in the eye; a part of my heart ached upon the realisation that he had imprinted on someone else but I had known this boy for two days and had no right to feel like that.

"I'll see you around Seth," I said, as I followed Jacob out of the front door without waiting for a response.

--

It was around five o'clock in the evening when I arrived home. My dad's truck sat in the driveway as I said my goodbye's to Jacob.

"Thank you again for saving my life. I owe you," I said, giving him a brief hug.

"I'm just doing my job," he said, as I got out of the car.

After watching Jacob drive down the road I turned towards my front door, the anticipation growing within me.

As soon as my dad saw me, his eyes widened as his mouth dropped slightly. I was quick to explain how I had tripped over a loose root in the ground on my walk this morning. Luckily, Jacob was driving past as this happened and drove me to Carlisle's house, a well-regarded doctor who looked after me and advised that I rest for a couple of hours.

My dad seemed to buy the story, coincidently making me feel awful for lying to him but I knew that I had to if I wanted to protect him.

After eating dinner with my dad, I excused myself to my room. As soon as I stepped through the door I noticed Seth's hoodie still lying on my bed from this morning. My mind suddenly jumped back to the moment that Seth told me he had imprinted. I suddenly wanted to know why my heart hurt at the thought of this after only two days.

Lying back on my bed, I couldn't help but wonder if moving here was such a good idea.