3

Once in the kitchen I put on my favorite apron that Cathy handmade for me 4 years ago. I use to love helping her out in the kitchen all the time, but that was before I met alpha Randi. Nowadays all I do is spend most of my time consumed just thinking about him.

"So what's all this food for?" I asked. Cathy stood at the sink rinsing off some vegetables.

"Oh, just another initiation ceremony, our Beta is turning forty, and they put me in charge of the food again." She says joyfully.

"Why is Tony the beta when he's older than alpha Randi. Shouldn't he be the alpha because of his age?" I ask trying to figure this out. Cathy places the vegetables on the counter.

"It would be wise to have someone much more mature and more experienced, but that is not how our customs work. The beta is not of alpha blood Randi is and since alpha Randi's father was our former alpha and Tony was his beta it only makes sense if his son takes his place and Tony just remains the beta."

"Oh." was all I could say at her explanation. I bit my lip because I knew I wouldn't like the answer to the next question I was about to ask.

"Do I have to come?"

She stops what she was doing and looks to me with a face of concern. "I'm sorry but you know you have too."

"The alpha hates me!"

"Do you honestly believe that?" she calmly speaks.

"Yes I do. Whenever he sees me he looks disgusted." Cathy shakes her head. "As long as he and his wolf share the same body they will continue to share the same feelings, and since his wolf's emotions are stronger than his human emotions the love his wolf has for you is much greater, but Alpha Randi is a stubborn young man and how he suppress his wolf is a mystery to us all, but let me tell you this Leah," she says coming closer to me and places her cold wet hand on my shoulder.

"He will eventually realize what a foolish mistake he has made."

Her words almost sparked a feeling of hope inside me but as soon as it came, it all but went. I remove her hand off my shoulder and continue to cut the meat. "It doesn't matter. I'm slowly getting over it, him."

But all that was "BS". I did want him to accept me as his mate. I did long for someone to love me and I wanted to hate Camila for being the one. I especially hated myself for feeling this way.

While still in the kitchen we hear a car pull into the driveway, and the car door shut. It was Mr. Echohawk he was home early to prepare for the ceremony. He walks into the kitchen, as if so blinded by his love for his mate he didn't even bother to say hello to me. All he did was drop his things and embrace Cathy, holding her tightly in his arms. The expression he wore was only the love he shares with his mate, so much greater than any human love.