The Past Never Leaves Us

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Joseph."

"Okay then, I need you to drop the money off for me. I'll give it to you and I'll tell you exactly how."

Nicole POV

Next morning, at 10 am, I park my BMW in the driveway of 100 Houser Avenue. It's a small, white two-story house with a swing set in front. I get out, wearing sunglasses to match my all-black suit, carrying an envelope.

I ring the doorbell. An elderly woman wearing an apron answers.

"May I help you?"

"My name is Nicole. Does Katherine Wyman live here?"

"Yes, she does."

"I have something for her. May I come in?"

I don't take my glasses or shawl off until I'm inside the living room.

"Oh my gosh! You're Nicole Kennedy! You're even more beautiful in person. I'm Susan," my hostess says, shaking my hand.

"Thank you, Susan. How long will Katherine take?"

"A few minutes." Susan ambles to the foot of the staircase. "Katherine, come down! Please, Nicole, sit down."

I accept my offer of tea and bite into a cookie just as Katherine enters.

I'm shocked at her age. She's about maybe 25, 26. She has pale skin, curly brown hair that halts at her neck, a thin figure, and beautiful brown eyes.

Katherine pales even more when she sees me and quietly asks her mom, Susan, to leave us.

"Why did you come here?" she asks.

"Because Joseph told me to hand this to you in person--uh, uh!" I hold the envelope back away from her hands. "On certain conditions."

Katherine sits. "Tell me."

"You cannot call any member of the Jackson family's house again. Like, ever again. Second: Joseph wants nothing to do with you. Your relationship with him is over."

Katherine blinks a couple of times, which I ignore and continue.

"Here is your check of forty-five hundred." I give it over. "Don't ask Joseph for more money, and don't you ever lie about this again! Joseph owed you 200 bucks, not 4,500 dollars. I need to get going."

"Hold on, Nicole." Katherine pleads, urging me to sit down. I remain standing.

"When can I call Joseph?"

"Never. He's done with you. If you want to take the risk, call his house and see what he'll have to say."

I peep in the kitchen. "Susan, thank you so much for the tea. It was lovely meeting you."

I glare at Katherine once more then go out to my car.

I sit behind the wheel and breathe. That was tough. I notice Katherine peering at me through the curtain, so I have no choice but to drive off.

Later that day:

"I did what you said, Joseph," I tell him on the phone.

"Thank you so much, darling." He breathes a sigh of relief.

"It makes me happy to hear you okay now."

Joseph chuckles. "Well, I got lots of problems to fix, so--"

"If you need any help from Michael and me, just call."

"I will, sweetheart. Thank you again."

I hang up the phone and continue rocking in the chair, staring out our bedroom window.

Five minutes later, I hear Michael thumping up the steps. He comes in with a blank expression.

"Hi," I murmur, looking down at my mystery book next to the lamp.

Michael leans down and kisses me. "I need you, Nicole."

I hold Michael while he tries to go to sleep. I stay up, thinking about my sudden friendship with Joseph. The man has many faults, which I'm sure are lifelong, always stemming from his resolve to run away from his past. Joseph wants to cut all ties with anything that reminds him of life before stardom. The one person I fear he'll end up cutting off is his own wife.

Katherine Jackson is the epitome of everything Joseph has worked to get away from: humble beginnings in Indiana, a person who would never trade her happiness or family for fame and wealth. Joseph is the ruthless opposite of her and will inevitably leave her.

I just wonder why no one ever warned my mother in law.