Chapter 12

Waking up is my real sweet dream. All of my actual dreams are about treks through dangerous locations. One was a volcano, the next a desert, the after that a flooded area that was still rising at a fast pace, and then finally the snow again and we died in each one. So waking in a soft, fur bed close to a warm fireplace with Edward resting his head on the bedside seemed more than magical. To top it off, I could smell the aroma of food.

I brush my fingers through Edward's soft, blonde hair. He lifts his head groggily as if asking What? I'm trying to sleep here. He perks up once he sees I'm awake.

"I thought you'd never wake up. How are you?" he asks.

My eyes close as I say, "Well, but I don't really know."

He snaps his finger in front of my eyes which flutter open, "Hey, don't go falling back asleep."

"Yes, you're right," I say trying to keep my eyes alert.

I sit up in bed and try to pull back the sheets and blankets, but Edward sits on them. My eyebrows furrow and my lips twist to one side. Before I can complain, a young boy with dark brown hair and freckles comes into the room with a plate of freshly baked cookies and warm chicken noodle soup. It's what my nose has been going crazy over since I woke up. He stops when he sees me.

"Wow, you were right! She is prettier awake. Those eyes!" he says to Edward. I glance at Edward, but then the boy coughs, "Hello, miss. The name's X. I mark where the treasure is."

I laugh, already convinced of his cuteness. "Thanks, X, I see you already met—"

"Your betrothed, Aaron! He refused to leave you and said you might panic otherwise."

I smile, assuming Edward told him we were engaged, "It's fine. I just didn't know he and I were taking our relationship further." I glance at Edward again. He bites his lip embarrassed, but it's at that moment I remember I kissed him and turn red myself.

"Um, thanks for the food," Edward finally says as he reaches out for the plate, "I'll feed her if you don't mind."

X lets him take the plate. "Nice to meet you, Elena," he says before walking out of the room.

I turn to Edward. Before I can lecture him, he stuffs a cookie in my mouth. Once I finish the cookie, he gives me a spoonful of the soup. When I finish that, I put my hand up.

"Why would you tell him that? We're supposed to be looking for your real lover girl, not creating a relationship between us."

He shrugs, "What does it matter? I just didn't know what to tell the kid when he asked. We could also talk about that kiss."

I flinch when he asks that last question. He's not the only one who doesn't know what to say aside from a bunch of rubbish. Maybe I'm rubbing off on him.

"Well, you don't have to feed me," I say reaching for the plate. For once, I successfully steer the conversation in another direction.

He backs the plate away, "No, I have to feed you. You had to feed me, so now I'm returning the favor."

"What kind of favor is shoving cookies down my throat?"

Another cookie is placed into my mouth. I quickly grab a cookie from the plate when it's close enough and stuff it in his mouth. A smile shines through his dark eyes.

We eat the cookies, and he serves me soup when the door opens again. The only thing I see that comes through the doorway is a pink head. Then the pink creature flies, yes flies, onto the bed. I realize what it is when I see its wings, beak, and unicorn horn.

The mooshy balances a tray with medical supplies in its beak. I know this must be for my feet. Time to see what the damage is.

Edward sits back on the chair and lets the mooshy pull the covers away. I help the creature, and I see my previous bandages have already been replaced once. I had no doubt those had been soaked in the snow and cold. I hold my breath.