Chapter 4

Father is coming home today, at least he promised it was today. Everyone is excited about his arrival as always. There's no big party for him this time, just us. Clara and Tessa admit that they are ecstatic about his return home so they can hear his adventure stories. However, they also confess they want the fabrics he promised so Nariel can make their dresses. The ball is in two days, and I still don't know how Nariel does it. Even if I help her, completing the task seems impossible.

The house is prepped for Prince Edward's servant, who will come the day after the ball. It was a lot of painting on my part and cleaning too. I hope once I say I'm not interested in the prince, the servant will focus on Tessa and Clara. Rumor is though, the servant enjoys helping out around the house. For that reason, I will still have to talk to them and deal with their questions.

I sit on the wet floor, holding a rag while listening to Tessa sing. Though I've cleaned the floor twice today, Lady Harriet insists I do it again to ensure it's spotless. Another reason I never liked living in Amishi. Nothing can be good, okay, or average. It had to be perfect. In my case, perfectly clean. This is impossible for a floor because, within a minute, someone leaves behind grime.

The calmness of the household flies away when there's a knock at the door. I get up and leave the rag to answer it with everyone following me. I open the door, expecting to see Father. Instead, we see Jeb looking panicked.

"It's your father! He's at the market. He was buying a gift when he suddenly dropped to the ground!" he stammers.

I open the door wider and we all crowd outside. "Please tell me he isn't dead," I say.

Jeb shakes his head, "No, he's not dead. But no one knows what's wrong with him. Better come quickly!" Lady Harriet tells the other two girls to stay while she and I go with Jeb. They nod and grimly walk back into the house, watching us leave in Jeb's cart.

Jeb rides fast and hard. He almost pushes too hard on the horse, but the horse gets us there in one piece. And just as fast as we got on, we get off.

There is a circle formed in the square, and I can only guess Father is in the center. Lady Harriet and I push through the crowd. A priest is kneeling over him trying to figure out what's wrong. It doesn't look like it's going so well.

"I don't know what's happening, but he's fading quickly," the priest says. Lady Harriet and I kneel with him and look down at Father.

He smiles when he sees us, "My dears."

I take his hand as Lady Harriet strokes his face. "Don't leave, Darling. I won't have another husband leave me!"

He hushes her, "The Creator will watch over you."

"And what of your daughter! You know her fate if you go!"

"A law doesn't decide one's fate. Ella is the only one to decide her own."

"I still won't allow you to go. You can't!" Lady Harriet says to him crying. Her choking sobs make it sound like she is the one dying.

"Tell us a story about your trip," I say, "I bet it's beautiful down in Baldwin."

He squeezes my hand, "Good idea, Princess." He thinks for a moment, "Ah yes, the landing pad. They drop you down a shoot to a funny little pad that is hard to get off. It was like walking on jelly, but suddenly it turned solid. It was quite fascinating."

He laughs through the pain, "I'm sure glad Bree made peace with humans. Otherwise, I couldn't get such fine fabric for my girls." He coughs a little and points at where the carriage is, "They're in there. I hope all of you make room for happiness. I love you so much. Thank you, Harriet, for being a tender and loving companion. And Ella, I couldn't ask for a greater daughter. You were always a proper lady in my eyes: a beautiful princess. Promise me you will not hide forever."