Chapter 4

When Turner reached Hamilton he wasted no time getting his father and mother. They were both waiting for him with the royal carriage packed for their trip to Avani so they could meet the princess. He touched the ground with his pegasus and ran to them.

"Father, we have to go now! Up to TerraNeil! There's this girl that needs our help. She was captured by two dragons and taken to this castle shrouded by darkness at Dragon's Perch!"

The King of Hamilton hushed the boy. "Hold it there. Who is this girl?"

"Paige. I met her on my journey."

"Son, I will send word to TerraNeil to get the girl. For now, you need to be presented to the princess. It is not in our territory, and therefore none of our concern. Even Avani would not have the authority to dispatch knights to the skies. We must be going off," the king said, getting into the carriage, "You were supposed to be here yesterday."

"Father, please. We must go now with our knights!"

"Son, if I did that, what would TerraNeil think? They would assume I was leading an assault! Besides, we don't have that many pegasuses. TerraNeil is better equipped to handle the situation."

Frustrated, Turner turned in a circle while running his hands through his dark hair. Facing his father, he proclaimed, "Then I'll go alone after all! I'm not going to let her die!"

He dashed right back to his pegasus and took to the sky. Turner's mother closed her eyes in contemplation while his father yelled. The queen pressed a finger to her husband's lips as she stepped inside the carriage. She ordered the coachman to go on ahead.

"What? Why are you so calm right now!" the king demanded, "Our son just sped off to Dragon's Perch and disrespected his duties!"

"Our boy is in love, dear. There wasn't anything we could say to stop him from going after this girl. How is he supposed to swear his heart to the princess when it's distracted?"

"In love? That's an outrage! He was gone for three days!"

The queen stared out the window, "Why don't you pray for his safety and send out that message to TerraNeil?"

The king huffed but did as his wife commanded. He wasn't happy, but he rather not have his son die because of stubbornness.

***

Paige woke in a grimy dungeon cell. Attached to the only solid wall in the room by two chains was a stiff board. She could only assume it was meant to be a bed. Also in the room was a large spinning wheel. She walked over to it, puzzled by what its purpose was, for she had not laid eyes on one since she was a baby.

She spun the wheel with curiosity, and then a voice said, "I've finally found you, after all these years. I knew I would though. It's destiny."

Paige looked around the cell until she spotted Fascienne on the other side of the bars. The shadow fairy came forward, her long black dress dragging along the ground. Her wings extended out like a dark fog.

"What do you mean?" Paige asked.

Fascienne laughed, "Of course, they didn't tell you. My girl, you are a princess. A princess who has been cursed. You're the Princess of Avani. You're the one people call Princess Beauty."

Paige laughed, "I'm afraid you're mistaken. I live in TerraNeil."

"Yes, and let me guess, your parents said you were dropped off on their doorstep? Have you not heard that no one has seen this princess? I wonder why. Perhaps it's because she's not in the castle. Hmm?"

"That's absurd. Please, I live a simple life. My name is Paige, and I am not a princess."

Fascienne smiled, "Alright then, be in denial, but once you fall over and sleep for eternity, don't say I didn't warn you. Yes, your fairy friends may have eased your suffering, but I think they increased it by giving your parents hope. I'll leave you to it then. It's been a while since you've seen one of these. Spindles aren't usually this sharp, so be careful not to prick your finger."