Chapter 7

At two o'clock the men come back into the ballroom. Everyone grows silent as if they have something to say. The fake prince waves his hand in the air, telling us nothing needs to be said, and everything goes back to normal.

I stand by Lady Harriet, Clara, and Tessa as they tell me about the strange princess. They also say that Prince Edward fancied her to an extreme, proven by how both he and Aaron ran after her. Tessa is not in a good mood after that.

Prince Edward, the real one, comes over to us, "It seems as if the girl has vanished. The last person who saw her was you, Elena." He stares at me, looking for answers.

"Well, all I can tell you is that she went through the gate and around a corner. I could tell my family the truth about you, though. You and 'Prince Edward' made it very clear who the real prince is while you were in a panic," I say.

His jaw drops slightly. Tessa and Clara look between the men and see that I'm right. They too, now that I mention it, see that he is more like the Prince Edward they knew from childhood than the other man. He closes his mouth and smiles.

"Well if we're going to play that game, I think I know your secret as well, my lady," he says drawing closer.

I gaze at the wall. He must see right through me, and I think about running away again. Nariel's efforts to keep anyone from recognizing me proved to be pointless. I stand my ground and say, "Enlighten me, Your Highness."

"Your name isn't Elena. It is Ella. The reason why you changed your name is unknown to me, but I would recognize the girl who shamelessly challenged me to a race. Even if her hair is darker than before."

I try not to sigh in relief as it would give away another secret. I'm glad he didn't know that I'm the one he thinks he's in love with.

"Yes, is that why you kept following me around?" I ask.

"That was one reason. But never mind that. Now that all of you know, I should announce to the crowd who I am before you tell them yourselves."

He walks away toward his mother and father. He tells them something and the king signals the musicians to stop.

"I can't believe he tricked us like that. He'll make a clever king," Clara whispers to me, "He also knew who you were."

"Yes, now all he has to do is find his princess. Makes you wonder if he can catch her," I whisper back. She smiles a little and we both go quiet to listen to Prince Edward.

"I have an announcement. I realize all of you think I'm the personal servant to Prince Edward, but in truth, I'm Prince Edward. I had my servant, Aaron, pretend to be me while I got to know the fair maidens when they weren't trying to impress. I'm sorry for doing that, but I'll do anything to find the perfect wife. As for the finalists, I'll be cutting some of you tonight. I already have each household in mind. Aaron, where are you?"

The real Aaron moves through the crowd and hands Prince Edward a piece of parchment. Prince Edward reads from it, "These are the five chosen households: Lady Barbara, Lady Mary, Lady Fair, Lady Wanda, and Lady Harriet. You did well in training your daughters. They are fair and beautiful girls. Also, I'm planning to cut the month I'll spend with the finalists to a week. Thank you for attending, and my father would like me to inform you this will be the last song of the night." He waves his hand and the musicians ready their instruments.

Prince Edward walks back over to us and holds a hand out to Tessa, "If you'll have me, I'd like you to be my final dance partner tonight."

She smiles and takes his hand, "Of course, I would be honored, Your Highness." Aaron then asks for Clara's hand. She gives it to him and they dance away as the song begins.