Chapter 6

I'm sad to admit the unbearable news to my stepsisters and stepmother. It will come out eventually, so I decide it's best to give them the letter. The letter will hardly leave them as unhappy as I feel though.

"A royal official came today and gave me this," I say coming outside in the cool where they sit watching Clara paint a picture of our trees covered in the colors of autumn.

Lady Harriet stands and takes the letter from me and reads it aloud, letting her fine blanket drop to the ground, which I quickly pick up, "Dear Lady Harriet and her daughters, you are hereby announced as one of the ten finalists. A ball will be held tomorrow starting at six, and you may bring whoever you wish. This I mean by whoever you want. Servants are allowed but may not dress above their station. This ball is for all of you. I will also see to it that both myself and my servant, Aaron, dance with each of your daughters to help me decide who might be lucky enough to become my bride. Sincerely, Prince Edward."

Tessa jumps from her chair and shakes Clara. Clara's paint brush slides across the painting, ruining it. Clara gives Tessa a dirty stare. "Great, now I don't know if I should be overjoyed or slap Tessa! A lady would choose overjoyed so . . . my gracious we're one step closer!" She stands up, completely knocking over her painting into the leaves and dirt. I don't bother trying to save it.

Clara then stops, "Wait one second! Ella, you get to come too!"

That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. There's no way they could get me to go. I did not spend three months avoiding Aaron, to waltz right into him. I know that I can't get out of it, so I might as well discover the truth behind Aaron and his connection to the prince. I'm fairly certain Aaron is a disguise.

"You're right. You have to go!" Tessa says, "You did help us get here!"

"Alright, I'll go if that's what you want. I also suppose you want me to go to Nariel's to see what dresses she has on the shelves?" I question.

Tessa smiles, "Of course! Choose the very best ones for us. Fit for royalty!"

I laugh, "I'll do my best! Dinner might be later than normal, though."

"Who even cares!" Tessa shouts, spinning herself around.

This is the friendliest I've seen her. Maybe it won't be so bad to have her become queen. I smile once more then head to the front of the house and run to Nariel's. The wind pushes me along. I reach her house and knock at the front door. She opens it and her face lights up when she sees me. She hugs me, bringing me inside.

"Oh, these months have been a drag! I had no idea how you were taking your father's death or how you are handling servitude," she says.

"Father's death was sudden. We didn't even have a proper funeral. And the status of servant was smacked right in my face. I'm lucky to have Lady Harriet," I breathe, "Anyway, Clara and Tessa are finalists and there's a ball tomorrow honoring the girls who made it. However, they insist I come with them since the letter states they can take whomever they want. But servants can't wear anything above their station."

Nariel bounces, "Oooh! Your first ball! I have some of the best dresses for them. Come, I'll show you!"

We head back into the room where she keeps her finished dresses. She leads me to two dresses that are equally as flouncy as the other. The first dress looks more like Tessa's style. Pink is the main color, with black lace at the waist, and then the same lace at the neck that expands itself on the sleeves. It also has a pink collar.

The other dress, had Clara's name written all over it. The whole bottom skirt of the dress is covered in flower designs, splashes of colors, and small jewels. The bodice is completely orange but the sleeves are layered in different colors. Thank goodness Nariel made sure all the colors weren't too bright. Otherwise, the dress would resemble a circus instead of an artwork.