Chapter 2

It was the day of Paige's sixteenth birthday, and her parents pretended that they had forgotten. So, Paige found herself fetching some water in the nearby stream by a grove. It was a chore she often did, but in this case, she knew it was an excuse to get her out of the house. Regardless, she filled her buckets with great care, not letting the liquid slosh out.

Her light brown hair and purple eyes shined off the light that came in from the canopy of branches above her. She truly had grown into one of the most beautiful girls in the land, but she only knew herself as a small village girl. She didn't pride herself in her beauty because she felt so different from everyone there. Most of her friends had wings and could use magic. She knew she must have some magical blood in her because of her eyes, but otherwise, she was a misfit. She hoped she would be given an answer on the day she turned sixteen. She knew her parents hadn't merely found and adopted her. There was more to it than that.

Before Paige stood, she looked down at her reflection in the water. She understood so little of the world she lived in. She sighed and took the water buckets back home.

That was when she heard twigs snapping and the trot of hooves drumming at a fast pace. She looked behind her shoulder to see a boy bouncing around and being dragged by his cape that was snagged on the pegasus' saddle. Due to the wild motion, the boy dropped the sword he was holding.

"What the–" Paige questioned as she set the buckets down, but then a troll stomped past, following after the boy. She froze for a split second. She didn't even know giants and trolls still existed in TerraNeil.

After a while, she couldn't stand sitting there as the boy yelped and bonked his head. Paige ran into the woods and picked up the sword the boy had dropped. Then she dashed off to help.

Finding them was easy since they cleared a nice path for her to follow. She found them where the stream began, and the boy was climbing a rock wall, close to the small waterfall. The troll stood on the main ground, lifting a large stone to throw at the boy.

Paige ran forward, picking up her own rock and throwing it at the troll. The troll turned around shouting at her in a deep voice. She lifted the sword and prepared herself to get in close.

While she did that, she shouted, "Hey big guy! Come get me instead!"

The boy looked at her with annoyance. "Um miss, I wouldn't do that! This guy's out for blood and the sword is sharp."

Paige ignored the boy as the troll took his stone and threw it at her. She ran for it, making her way closer to the troll, little by little. The stone cracked and its remains scattered. Soon, she was close enough to slice the troll's stomach. It only provoked the troll further. With his hand, he swatted her. She flew into the stream water, dropping the sword and getting soaked. Her gut was definitely bruised, and she resisted the urge to vomit.

The boy had gotten off the rock when the troll was distracted. He ran for his sword while the troll was occupied with Paige who was getting out of the stream. Like the boy beforehand, she found herself cornered by the large rocky hill and the troll. Unlike the boy though, she didn't have the time to climb as the troll grabbed her. She yelped, her sides aching from when the troll batted her into the stream.

The troll brought Paige to his face and stared at her. "You'll make a pretty wife."

Paige's mouth gaped open, "Wife? No way!" She bit his fingers around her as hard as she could. His grip on her loosened and she fell free right back into the water. That's when she threw up her breakfast.

Behind the troll, the boy managed to slice at the troll's leg. With more pain afflicting him, he bellowed in pain. At that point, he wouldn't stop until both Paige and the boy were dead.