Story #3-Girl in the Ashes (Told by Ella)

A mother, a mother of pure heart, that is what my mother is, then, now, and forever. She couldn't be gone, not by this sick fever, and not while I'm still naive. I am too childish to wait for Father by myself without her. Sure, I have plenty of friends to keep me company, but the animals only seem to come when she's around.

I don't think I have that same effect on them. They always seem to play hide-n-seek with me. I must be strong. There are several toys I can play with and books to read. I do know how to cook meals and take care of the animals, despite their games. Perhaps I could even get Father to take me with him. I can handle myself being eight and all. Eight, I think, is the perfect year to celebrate growing up. At least for me anyway.

Oh, how I miss her. Her voice. Her smile. Her pure love. She is probably purer than the Queen of Amishi herself. That being said, the queen knew my mother personally. She just might agree with me. They were the most unlikely, but very best friends! She'll be at the funeral too, along with her husband and son. I believe Lady Harriet will be there also with her daughters. They are very pretty and have the nicest of things. I love Lady Harriet's name too, it sounds so beautiful, especially with "lady" added in front of it.

The carriage finally comes to a stop, and we are at the church. Mother will be inside, waiting for us to say our last goodbyes. I don't think I'll be able to hold myself together to speak. That's why I brought my mother's favorite book. It could do the talking for me. I still feel like I should tell her in my own words how much I love her, but in a way, the story is how she told me.

Father helps me out of the carriage. He did it the way he always did. Lifting me like I am flying, then set me back on the ground. I suspect he wouldn't have done it if I didn't look so sad. All the blackness in everyone's clothing didn't make me any happier. It's a shame how beautiful my own dress was, despite its black and gray colors.

"Do we really have to wear such dreary clothes, Father? Mother never liked dreary and dark clothes. She likes bright ones, like yellows, pinks, and sky blues," I tell him.

He takes my hand as we walk inside the church and says, "It's for mourning my dear Ella, but I made sure the flowers were those bright colors you speak of." I nod.

Many people are inside waiting for us. I see the queen immediately with her family in the front row. She is pretty but covered in sadness. I am surprised when we sit next to her.

My father smiles at her, "How are you holding up my Queen?"

She dabs her eyes, "As well as I can. She's helped save my life and my child more than once."

"And the search for your daughter?"

The queen shakes her head, "Still nothing. We haven't a clue." They stop talking when the priest steps up to the pulpit.

The priest speaks for a long time before anyone else. Nariel, our closest neighbor, stands after him. Her house is more than one mile from our own, and she owns a dress shop. She made the dress I'm wearing right now, and no one else could make finer dresses than she.

In her goodbye, she mentions how far apart our houses are, but how the distance doesn't stop us from being friends. I love everything she says in her sweet voice. She's like my mother, but she is still very young and ready to be wed. I hope she finds herself a handsome prince.

Thinking of princes, I take a quick glance at Prince Ed. He is only a year older than me, but he is swinging his legs furiously as I did a year ago at my only aunt's funeral. Mother told me it wasn't ladylike to swing my legs in such a manner. This is what Prince Ed's father tells him too, except he says gentleman.

I realize then, it is my turn to say goodbye. I stand and my father follows me. I don't want him to. I'll look much younger than I am if he helps me in any way with reading Mother's story. This thought vanishes though, as I realize how much his support is needed when my legs wobble.