109 | hearteater

this is a part two to imagine 108!! i suggest reading that before reading this.

------

summary: cheaters are supposed to feel guilty, aren't they?

word count: 2202

NOTE: this story does not condone cheating. plainly put, it's bad and you really shouldn't do it. with that said, ENJOY THE SHOW.

------

His fingers hovered over his phone, itching to grab it and dial her number. But he couldn't; they'd both agreed whatever they had wasn't going to work, no matter what they did or how hard they tried. Things were too fucked up, too complicated, for anything resembling a "Them," to arise.

So there he sat, shirtless and cold at two in the morning, reaching for a decision that would change everything. His girlfriend wasn't in town, she didn't need to know about this time – nor did she need to know about the first, second, or third time. A battle raged in his mind as he considered everything.

Morally, he was being the biggest dick – and he didn't even have the balls to break up with his girlfriend now. Emotionally, he was doing what was right – he loved Y/N with every bone in his body, every fiber of his being. And she, Y/N, made him the happiest he'd ever been – he knew he was wrapped around that girl's little finger.

After a moment longer of silence, he whispered, "Fuck it." Swiftly, he grabbed the phone and dialed the number of the girl he needed. "Please pick up," he said softly into the receiver, listening to the obnoxious dial-tone. After a couple seconds, she finally answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby," Mark sighed out, leaning back on his headboard and smiling.

"Mark," she sighed, "I thought I told─"

"I know, I know," he cut her off, "'someone else already has that spot' but we both know there is no 'someone else.'"

"Look," Y/N didn't even sound tired, "I love you, really. But there's another girl in your life and for some reason, you've strung her along in this dumbass game of tag."

"Y/N," Mark sighed, rubbing a hand over his face, "I don't want to talk about it. She's not even here, anyway." It's a rarity that she is.

"Mark..." she didn't say anything after that.

"Y/N, can you come over? Please?"

There was silence on the other end, and then a muffled shuffling. She sighed then quietly said, "Yeah, I'll be there soon." Then she hung up.

Mark smiled again, looking out the window by his bed. The night suddenly seemed brighter, less unknown. Running a hand through his tousled black hair, he closed his eyes and relished in the happy quiet. In those moments, he let himself think.

There was no doubt in his mind that he was in love with his best friend, and he couldn't avoid the crushing fact. And there was no way he'd lie to himself and say he wasn't in love, say that this was strictly lust, when that wasn't the case in any way, shape, or form. Although, he did have a guilty conscience, seeing as Y/N was right and he was stringing this poor girl along in his dumb game.

He didn't have real affection for her anymore, though – all of that was ruined by that first night and the following morning. But, truth be told, he knew something wasn't working; he and his girlfriend didn't click, and that was more than apparent when he realized he didn't miss her at all. He always missed Y/N whenever she was gone for an extended period of time, yet he didn't miss this girl one bit.