24 // Knight in Shining Armor

Sir Mark. The one knight that I couldn't stop thinking about. He was the High Knight, the one that led every single move that our Kingdom's cavalry made. And I couldn't be more in love with him. Father said that me being a simple maiden in the village meant that it was just a petty crush and that I should just stick to marrying the Pig-Washer's son, Fredrick.

I never listened to him, though. It wasn't just a petty crush, but a crush nonetheless. I knew I couldn't call him my own, but I sure as heck could dream, couldn't I?

I started to hear trotting on the outside of my house, tugging me out of my daydreaming. I went to the window, as trotting was no common thing to occur within the village. I opened the shutters and saw Sir Mark and his men coming down the road, his helmet's mask covering his face. You could only tell that it was him by the way his horse looked: regal, and commanding. He rode with a higher placed posture than the rest, but you could tell that they, too, were of higher rank within the kingdom. Their armor was silver and Mark's was a coal black, once again signifying that he was of higher command.

He neared my small cottage, and me being the shy 22-year-old girl I am, I started to slightly cower in the window. Much to my surprise, though, he came to a halt right by the door, climbing off of his horse and taking off his helmet, revealing his handsome tanned skin and jet-black hair. He came up to the window, looking down at me. "Excuse me, but do you know if we can speak to Ms. Y/n?" His voice rang through my ears and I once again shrank back a slight bit.

"That would be me, Sir Mark." I felt my cheeks slightly heat up, my shy side obvious and embarrassing me. 

He smiled kindly before continuing, "Well, Ms. Y/n, the king is holding a ball tonight, and as a favor returned to your Father, we would like to invite you and your family." I was taken by surprise. What had my Father done for the King that allowed our family to be invited to a royal ball?

"Of course, but I am afraid that my Mother and Father are out of town, and it is just me. Would it be fine if I came by myself?" I was trying to keep my composure, still red-cheeked and shocked. 

The High Knight in front of me chuckled, "Of course, it would be just fine. And, Ms. Y/n?" I looked up slightly at him, noticing then that I had looked down a little bit.

"The King also requested that I escort your family, and seeing as it is just you, would you like me to come get you for the ball around sunset?" I nodded, smiling widely. He returned the nod, a small smile gracing his features, also softening his chocolate eyes. With that, though, he took a bow and walked back to his horse, sliding his helmet back on during the process. The other knights within his command gave me a slight nod, turning their steeds to follow after Sir Mark's already retreating one.

I finally came out of my shocked state, still coming to terms with what had just happened. Still, I dashed back into my room, realizing that this was actually happening and that it was mid-afternoon. I surfed through my closet, looking for the most regal and formal looking dress I had. As I got my hands on the last sad piece of clothing and moving it, I saw a dress that I hadn't worn yet that had been made by the tailors specially for me. It was a (f/c) dress, with a decently-sized neck and a not too floofy bottom, with lacey designs going down the sleeves and the torso. I plucked it off the makeshift hanger that it was on, laying it out on my bed before going toward the tin that was a bathtub and bathing with a quickness that was almost unbelievable.

I washed my hair, getting all the dirt and grime out of it, and doing the same to my skin. I also shaved with the razor that Mother had set out, smoothing out the hairs on my legs and under my arms - not that it was a jungle, but it was bad enough that I needed to shave it. I hopped out of the tub, grabbing a cotton towel and wrapping it around my body before grabbing a slightly smaller one and wrapping my hair in it.