78 // Mass Effect

Prompt: I was wondering if you could make an imagine about a normal girl who one day gets pulled into video games. There, she meets Markiplier, and together they make their way through the video game and end up falling in love.

For: a tumblr user peeps (also if tinyboxtrin forgives me for not being able to write hers... plz forgive me bby)

────────────

Try not to play too much, they said; You'll end up being part of the game itself, they said. Boy, were they right. Now here she was, sitting in the middle of an N7 Normandy, in place of who would be Shepard, and trying to talk to her new crew member, Mark, from Cerberus. Things on his end hadn't been the best when he switched over, once again, to the Alliance, so he wasn't exactly the most talkative at the moment.

"Mark," she whispered, seeing his back tense a little; the skin tight suit he had been wearing wasn't helping her situation of not staring. "Mark, c'mon, if we're gonna take on the reapers, we need to be able to communicate." He turned around sharply, a different kind of look in his normally soft brown eyes. 

"I don't want to 'communicate' right now. I want to get my job done. That's what I came here to do, and that's what I'm going to do. I don't care about what you think is gonna be good for 'our' team. Okay," his final word was a stated question – like a question that came out as stern as a statement, but still wasn't quite close.

She said nothing, nodded curtly and walked out of the weapons bay. She didn't even bother to look back at him. It was true, she felt like a character from a video game, and her actual humanity was starting to wear off at this point. She shook her head, going to the core and talking to Garrus. "Garrus, do you know why Mark is so," she stopped, trying to find the right words, "closed off?" 

"Maybe because whatever he just went through wasn't exactly the easiest shit in the world to go through." She nodded, dropping the subject and asking him about the vitals of the ship.

Walking back to the main bay, she shook her head once again, trying not to think of Mark, and set course for the next mission to take. But, sadly, that also meant that she had to pick her team: Garrus, Tali, and Mark. It seemed inevitable, mainly because he was one of her best fighters – physically, mentally, emotionally, and verbally.

Once they geared up, her weapon of choice still not completely loaded, she looked over at Mark; his armor was only showing what Mark already had muscle wise, and it didn't help her one bit in the long run. His jaw was hard and clenched, and it was evident he was still pissed about something. 

"Mark! I need you over here for a minute," Garrus called, standing next to you. He walked calmly over to him and swept his red hair back, loading his gun without looking at it.

"Y/n here can't get her gun loaded, and obviously, you're pretty good at doin' that, so, uh," he gestured toward the gun in her hand. He pointed to it, asking in a nice way to see the gun. She handed it over, brushing their fingertips together for a brief moment. He smirked a small bit, but let it drop to that smug look and loaded her gun within seconds. 

"It was only a bullet jammed. No big deal, just next time, remember to keep from putting the bullet the opposite direction it's supposed to be."

────────────

After the mission, things were a little easier when approaching Mark. He was less tense and had an easy-going smirk on his face. It was small, but it was there nonetheless. "So, Mark," she asked him once more. He looked at her, those swirling brown eyes replacing the ones that were hard and cold. 

"Sup, Commander?" She laughed at his 'cool' greeting, continuing.

"First, you can just call me y/n; second, I'd still like to find out more about the guy on my team with red hair and a strangely sharp jawline." He chuckled and rested his lower back on the table behind him, crossing his arms and asking what exactly she wanted to know. "Well, Mark, tell me where you're from."

He described himself, telling her that he wasn't always from the "Mass Effect" world, and it kind of reminded her that she wasn't either. "Anyway, I've got a story for you. So," he looks at her and smiles a little more when she props herself up on the mounted table behind her. "I'm sitting here, having thoughts out my ass, just everywhere and anywhere, and then this girl, couldn't really describe her, walks in; takes me completely by surprise. I mean, she's just this creature that whatever Lord there is definitely took their time on. Anyway, she keeps trying to talk to me, tryin' to get my attention, and it's like a sudden realization that I have yet to actually acknowledge her. It was weird," he paused, taking a breath and looking into her eyes, his brown eyes going back and forth between her own. 

"She just took my breath away when she tried to talk to me, but my thoughts had a different idea. They made me tense, made me mad, and I ended up taking it out on her, and I'm sorry."

Once he said that she knew exactly who the 'girl' was. Her. "It's okay, Mark. I kinda understand why you were so mad, considering you had just come from that hell hole. So, I'll tell you another story." She smiled and looked down, starting to swing her feet a bit, her hands resting on the edges of the table she was sitting on. 

"I was walking through after a small confrontation I had with another dude – again like you said, wasn't too bad on the 'good looking' scale. Anyway, my thoughts were all on him, kind of wondering, did I do something wrong? Is it something just, about me in general? Damn, I screwed everything up."

He looked slightly baffled, probably at the fact that she was scared she'd messed something up. "So, when we were setting up for the mission, this said dude had to help me load my gun. And when he took it from me, I wasn't expecting him to be so kind. But he was, and there's also that weird feeling I got when we brushed our fingers together, even though it was only for like, two seconds." He chuckled and shook his head, his red hair falling to the side of his face.

Walking to her, he stood between her legs and placed his hands right next to her own. "I'd say this is probably going too fast, but I'll tell you, my story is a little less complete. I really want to kiss this girl, and I really want to ask her on a date when we get to the Citadel. So, y/n, will you let me kiss you and take you on a date to the Citadel?" 

She laughed, placing her hands around his shoulders and looking into his galaxy-like brown eyes.

Their eyelids fluttered shut and their lips brushed against each other. A couple minutes later, they pressed a little harder, which lead to full-on making out. They didn't even hear it when Garrus walked in, went wide-eyed, then turned on his heel and walked out. "Damn, that's some serious shit goin' on in there."