15 // On The Edge

A/N: WARNING, THIS IS A SAD ONE-SHOT. JUST SO YOU KNOW. IF YOU SKIP THIS, I'M SORRY. MY FRIEND, ON THE OTHER HAND, WILL CURSE YOU AND YOUR CHILDRENS CHILDRENS CHILDREN TO BE BORN WITH 6 EYES AND THE TAIL OF A BEHEADED TOAD.

^^creds to my friend, cookiemonster237, she's the reason for the first ending.

Enjoy.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I looked down toward the rushing water, it was all so tempting. Just to jump, forget it all, not have to worry about anything anymore. Not have to worry about whether or not Mark really loved me, if it was even possible to love me.

It all seemed so simple: jump and forget. Well, it was so simple, until I thought of Mark. Never again holding his hand, never again kissing soft lips, never again being held his strong arms. Never again mocking his last name, that I one day hoped would be mine.

But, it's not like it would really matter. I mean, there were millions of girls out there who probably loved Mark just as much as I did. Almost as much, anyway.

I still needed to do this, as much love and happiness Mark brought to my life, I could never return the favor. Which meant I was just a burden, and I could never burden him - I loved him. So, here I am. Standing on the edge.

I looked down below once more, the rushing water mesmerizing to my dreary eyes. I start to take a step, but it'll take five to get there. I count them in my head.

One...
For every person that I loved.

Two...
For every lie I've ever told.

Three...
For leaving.

Four...
For Mark.

Fi-

"Y/N!" I felt his hands around my waist as he lifted me up and stopped my path. I started to kick and scream, tried to pry his fingers off my waist, but his grip held strong.

I began to yell words at him, pointless words. They were just words that came from nowhere. Nowhere words. I was saying all I could – all that mattered was that I could leave.

"Mark! I'm just going ruin your life!" By now, I had stopped struggling, now, I was just crying, crying in his arms. Tears full of sadness, resentment.

"Y/n, I need you to ruin it. I need you to wreck my life, destroy my life for all I care. As long as it's destroyed with you – by you."

I look up at him, and he nods. We both look back towards the water, then back at each other. We split from the hug, but our hands stay strong. We take a step.

One...
For me.

Two...
For him.

Three...
For us.

Our feet leave the ground, and I see his eyes. His beautiful mocha orbs. The last thing I'll ever see. Then, nothing.

───────────

ALTERNATE ENDING COURTESY OF 2016 PENGUI:

  "Y/n, I need you to ruin it. I need you to wreck my life, destroy my life for all I care. As long as it's destroyed with you – by you." 

It was all I could take; I broke down. I broke down more than I ever had before. He really was my sole purpose for living, breathing, my happiness. I can feel his hand on the back of my head, keeping me against him. The sound of the water rushing below begins to drown out, all of my hearing focused on his heartbeat. 

He nuzzled into my hair, whispering sweet nothings. I was sure, by that point, that we looked a little ridiculous: two crying people standing on the sidewalk of a bridge at night. But I didn't care. I didn't care about that anymore. 

He was right, so right; I shouldn't take my life. And if I was going to get out of the whole I was in, I'd be damned if I didn't do it with him by my side.

"I love you, Mark. I love you so much."

"You have no idea, y/n. Absolutely no idea. Now let's get out of here, yeah?"

"Yeah. Let's get out of here."