Creeping Like a Nun

"Come for a walk down the beach, luv" John grabs my hand and pulls me towards the little track towards the beach. Julian nods for us to go, he is already playing with Faith. She can rollover now and is attempting to crawl.

"Warm enough?" John watches me as I rub my arms. "Come 'ere" We cuddle and walk the beach. The engulfing silence a lovely comfortable reflection for us to gather our thoughts.

"Look, someone's building way up in the back there" We are a few hundred metres from the Macca compounds boundaries and the new house is perched high "The view would be magnificent from there, lucky buggers!"

"Come on, let's go 'ave a gander" John is hightailing up to the dunes, a small track heads towards the new building.

"John wait, it's somebody's private residence" I stop, crossing my arms, giving him my best mother knows best impersonation.

"Boo Hoo, I'm John Lennon who's going to stop me" John is so annoying when the John the Greatest card is pulled, I usually only like it when he does it for me, don't tell him I said that!!

He's out of sight so I better go save him from the neighbours, or should that be, save the neighbours from him!

"Wait up then Len. Your legs are longer than mine!" He's is out of earshot so I plod up the narrow path, some stones set into it to act as steps. "John?"

As I come into the clearing John is sat on the railing of the stranger's verandah, I stop hands on hips.

"No one's here, come on up here, stop being a grumble bum" He is smiling down at me as I stand below on the lawn that will become someone's front yard. Small tropical trees already planted out for future years of shade.

As the steps aren't finished yet John pulls me up to him and we take in the vista. The ocean spreads before us like a beautiful painting, even a couple of sailboats are out on the water to make the scene cheesier than it already is.

I can't help myself I need to have a sticky beck through the glass that surrounds the verandah protecting the interior of the home from natures elements, my hand, up shading my eyes from the light, so I can see inside. John stands by the door.

"Don't you dare" He did it, the door is open and he is inside before I can stand back up straight. "John" I hiss following him inside like a cat burglar.

As we move through the rooms I can't help but fall in love, not a stick of furniture or lick of paint has been added but you just can imagine the rooms, full, a family enjoying the houses' features. "This is just beautiful, someone is very lucky"

"They are aren't they" John leans over the banister to the second storey and pulls my hand to take me up. The rooms here are going to be bedrooms, all with pretty picture windows overlooking the ocean. "Like it?"

"Love it, I wonder who.." I turn around and am greeted by John laying on the window seat, arms behind his head. The seat hugs the bay windows "Stop stuffing round Len, hop up, we need to go".

"Come here" John holds a hand out "Right here, I'm not leaving this seat!"

I give in and walk slowly over "Who's house is it John?" I stand over him, hands on hips trying to have some sort of authority over the situation, looking down into Johns face his wide grinning smile says it all but I need to hear it with my own ears. I decide to push him over and sit with him, the ocean in full view "Who's" I kiss him "Is" kiss "it?"

"Ours, Cat"

"Nooooo....How, when...How!" I repeat.  I can't believe he has managed this, all this.

I kiss him and hug him "It's beautiful, so beautiful"

"Catlyn, I want this to be our house. Will you marry me, here, as soon as it's finished. Let's make it home?"

My stunned look must have had him double guessing "Oh my god John, really!? You still want to marry me after all my hideous moods and outbursts"

"I love your hideous moods and outbursts darlin" My nose gets kissed as he laughs and cheekily throws my words back in my face. "If we can get through the last few months we're set for anything, don't you see that Cat?! We made it luv"

"When?"

"When what?"

"When will it be ready, I need to start planning everything. Oh my goodness, is it next week??!! A dress, my hair, Faith's dress, you need a suit. Flowers I want heaps of flowers! And all the boys as brides-men!"

"Slow down you mad woman, I never said I would wear a suit!"

"You never said you were building a damn house either and you did!" I am up bouncing around like an excitable puppy, John's hand catching mine to slow me down for the stairs.

"Catlyn, stop, luv" As he catches me and drags me into his embrace in one fluid movement I meet his lips and we are pretty much stuck together the whole way back to the cottage.