Awake and Talking

"Hello there, sleepy head" John gazed into my eyes as I woke, I felt peace and love and also warm, safe in those few words.

"mmmmmm " My mouth is so dry I feel like a desert has taken up residence.

"Here have a drink luv" John held a glass with a small straw up to my lips, I guess the look of disgust told him my thoughts "Come on you need this then you can try to talk again, righto"

I took a sip and frowned but it felt good so I tried again, the water breaking the drought, my lips felt cracked and hard, swallowing was with slight pain. The water was soon gone and I laid waiting for him to explain where we are.

"OK so you have been, well asleep, for about ahhh...a week" John said all that with a big grin like it was some game but I was horrified.

"Why?" He touched my face, his fingers resting on my eyebrows caressing down to my cheeks. "So long, what...... happened?"

"You took a tumble down some stairs we...we thought we lost you, sleeping beauty" He was being so sincere I felt scared of the reason, we usually stuffed around now the weight of solemn words gathered around me, slowing time. "I've been waiting here for you to wake up. Everyone's come to see you, lots of flowers, you're a very popular girl, you know"

"Of course" I smiled softly and he joined me with a great big grin like I had accomplished something wonderfully bigger than just a smile. "Jealous guy? Or somethin"

Rewarded with his smiles- they always seemed to be my happiness drug these days. He could light a room, illuminate my world.

"Cat, Abe's down the hall would you like me to get him or shall we snuggle for a bit" John answered his own question, gathering me up in a big hug. "Cat?" John whispered quietly in my ear and I felt my temperature rising, he made my pulse race from one word.

"Yessss"

"I wanna talk to you about this last week or two babe ok, tell you what's been happening, what's going to happen" I pulled back a little and watched his face, it usually told me more than any words spoken, though now he was poker faced, I had to bide my time and listen. "Firstly this" a ring slipped onto my finger. The ring finger where promises of love and marriage belong. "Marry me lovely Catlyn?...."

"John, where has this come from? This... it's so gorgeous" I glanced quickly from the ring looping my finger to John and back again, my mind racing an amazing kaleidoscope of thoughts filling my vision.

I settle my eyes on his face and see the tremble of worry. How can the great Len be so apprehensive, so worried- he was John the invincible. His eyes never wavering from my face. "Yes, wow! Are you sure though!? It's just me, Rat the drummer"

He smiled and kissed me "Can't take it back now love; Of course you, always. Forever and a day" Linking fingers he kissed them lightly opening up my palm drawing along the lines of my hand "You see, this is us. A wandering river, long, and always flowing."

I had another drink of water and a doctor walked through the door glancing at John then me, I saw the negative shake of John's head and the doctor nod in return. Then again, maybe it wasn't anything just my mind playing tricks.

"So Miss Laboriel, I finally get the chance to meet you properly; you and I have been conversing a tad one-sidely these past few weeks" I furrowed my eyebrow at the doctor, weeks, John was a little under that amount if time when he spoke, but he was rolling away and stood behind the doctor now, missing the confused look I gave.

"Let's have a look at your tummy please" The doctor took the sheet down to my waist letting me gather up my pj top.

"Why my stomach?" I looked at the scar long and nasty across my stomach stitches keeping me from falling apart. This time the glances between John and my doctor were visible again, I wasn't dreaming "Just tell me get it out into the open. Rip the damn bandaid off! What are all these stitches for. Its a foot long cut for Christ's sake! Doctor tell me now!"

They again shared a look of pensive uneasiness I glared at them both. "Stop with the pandering, spit it out, I remember having some pain but a slash like that, come on. John you asked to marry me this is all part of it. Truth, sharing, illness and in health all the crap that goes with it"

"Ok but you need to have an open mind and just say what you feel, tell us if you want us to stop" The doctor acted like he was going to tell me but then John took his arm and stepped up to the bed, my hand in his tightly, like I would fall from the revelation.