Visiting Hours

"Has anything changed?"

Whispered words float over me, like I was thinking them but it wasn't making sense, what is changing what isn't?

"Nah, doctor says she should come around soon. Thanks for coming Abe, I know she will want you when she wakes"

Ok so the first voice was Abe, my cousin, my brother.

"John?" clarity set in again and I could feel the weight and fuzz lift a little, my eyes wouldn't open though.

"Abe, get the doctor" Johns voice made me centre more and I could feel myself coming back from wherever I had been.

"Cat, I'm here. Don't move huny, wait for the doctor" he was whispering, so close. I could feel his lips next to my ear.

I dozed again but felt someone pushing, prodding, poking me with his fingers, my head being turned and lifted. I swatted at the hand "fuck off" I felt that I had screamed the words but they were barely a whisper. John later joked and said it was the point where he knew I was really ok.

Johns POV

I'm not sure if I can handle this hospital... the way they poke and prod those that are ill, seems nasty and hard, perhaps its cause it's my heart that is getting poked and prodded at the same time.

She is asleep again, she sleeps often; the doctor says it's to do with the fall and hit on the head but I joke with her as she slumbers calling her a lazy bugger and to wake up.

Everyone's been in and out, a revolving door of friends and her family.

Not the best way to meet uncles and fathers, mothers and sisters but we met and they seemed to trust that I was going to look after their girl.

Even Keith and Bunny turned up late one evening just as the visiting hours ended, the nurses let them stay though, an autograph or two doing the trick.

The only issue I have is she hasn't been told, the doctors don't want her to know until she is lucid and straight in the head again. We all joke and laugh and say she is always a bit warped but the doctor doesn't get the bands 'in' jokes and tut tuts and cuts us off, repeating the 'plan of attack' for when she wakes.

I have not been with her as much as I should, Abe and the rest understand that I need to take off but doing it is hard and I feel much guilt as I push open the doors to the main corridor again and again, day after day, the same path to and fro. If it were carpet I dare say there would be a huge track of worn fabric highlighting my steps.

The boys, Jules and Sean will visit today. They have both been with Linda and Paul since 'the incident', staying at the Dakota which is close by. I sleep here in a makeshift cot on the floor beside her.

SHE-witch is in a cell downtown awaiting an arraignment. The FBI camera that, Cat correctly searched for after the push, showing everything; even a lip reader had been able to make out most of the words spoken.

As I lay down to finish another day I pray to whoever or whatever is out there to bring her home strong and happy so the earth can rest on the correct axis of life again.

Maybe I upset Jesus and God back in the day, although it was never my intention to hurt anyone, or them. But can't a man redeem and repent, I have long since advocated peace and hope in this crazy world. Surely that is some repair to the tears I may or may not have put between myself and him up there...

Three days after my thoughts on God and Christ and Jesus she has woken from the slumber. I was actually lying beside her as she slept. I won't say coma because that made everything seem worse in my head.