Woke up Got out of Bed

"Am I sick, dying -is that it?" Looking between them, I was content that, that wasn't the case, though the way they acted I felt I might throw up, my stomach was in knots from the unsaid words.

"When you fell you were feeling pain in your stomach right" I nodded I could remember the tight feeling like a tourniquet. "So we found out, well doc here did, what the cause was" John smiled that wonderful grin, happiness love all radiating towards me, I couldn't help but smile back somewhat blankly. " Cat huny, you were pregnant..."

I think I fell if I didn't I was in a spin, my head reeling. John grabbed my other hand "Cat look at me!" He tried to take control and but my mind raced off trying to remember.

I wasn't pregnant.

I didn't have any changes happen or anything stop.

I wasn't fat or blotted or whatever else pregnant women have happen.

I wasn't sick.

I wasn't pregnant.

"Cat, focus. Look at me!"

I suddenly found him, his face and the doctor close together, the doctor just behind waiting for me to run I suppose.

"I wasn't....I didn't...." The doctor knew what I was trying to say as he took over talking, John still pained and worried.

"Catlyn sometimes women miss signs especially if this is a first baby, you weren't looking so you didn't see, it's ok, you didn't do anything wrong. In fact, you holding your stomach like you did at the accident we did check there first and sure enough-." Mid-sentence the doctor stopped and John took the reins again.

"Cat you were pregnant and due to the trauma of the fall, the baby had to be born straight away. It's a bloody miracle luv! She's a bloody miracle. We have a little girl Cat, you have a baby girl!" John sat beside me as I struggled for air, gulping and shaking at the unbelievable.

"Catlyn, if you don't settle yourself I will need to sedate you, do you understand" The doctor held my arm and shoulder, trying to regain my flittering attention. I shook my head vigorously but still I gasped and failed to grasp all the news

"Catlyn" I grabbed for John taking his face in my hands, searching for answers in his eyes, he kept hold of me as I slowed myself down, breathing became easier.

"Good girl, listen to John"

"So.... between my looking out for you I have been visiting a darling little princess just a few hundred yards away. She is tiny but like her mum, she's tough and resilient" His smile was warm and full of love for the baby. "She really needs you now that you're awake, Cat"

"But I wasn't. I didn't feel anything. I'm not-" Glancing at the doctor he sat next to me on my other side so I had to look at him, John holding my hand tight.

"Catlyn, the human body is a wonderful thing, even with you not realising it, it did its job feeding her and nourishing her to grow. Now, she is tiny. You were, we think, around 30 weeks" I raised a question eyebrow and he explained "normally bub is inside for 40 weeks. So, she needed, and needs, a bit of help, but she is getting that and thriving, she's a fighter. Look, you have a rest and let all this sink in. Don't hesitate to ring the nurse if you have a question. Now I need to go see my other patients" The doctor patted my hand again and walked to the door, leaving before I could say thank-you for his help.

John helped me lay down in the bed, fluffing pillows and fussing, I bit his head off "Just leave the damn pillows John, I can't be bothered with fluffing fucking pillows" He stopped and sat in the chair, head downcast and I immediately felt horrible "I'm sorry please fluff away, don't be so far from me" I reached out to him and he came to me. "Bed now, I need hugs. Smack me silly for being foul, forgive me..."

He climbed in the bed not on it, sheets in disarray, but so close I could feel his body touching, warm and mine. I hugged him not the other way around, my face in his neck I whispered away "Sorry, Sorry. We have a baby?!" He pulled away and stroked my face softly, wiping my tears of worry and distress away with his fingers.

"No sorry's, and yes, we have a baby girl. You're a mum, luv." He kissed me and snuggled in again, I must have dozed cause I woke to see Abe was sitting in the chair, John missing from my side.

"Abe, hey" I reached out for his massive hug and wasn't disappointed.

"You, don't do that to me again! Geez I was so worried bout you Rat. I knew you wouldn't let me down. You'd come back" Abe smiled and sat on the bed. We hugged again "So, I'm an uncle? Or cousin"

"You are an uncle! Oh, my god I don't know how to be a mum, I'm a shit cousin, ridiculous friend."

"We will all help you, it's been an eventful day don't let that mind of yours go crazy girl, one foot in front of the other ok" Abe's voice of reason when I need it most, he was picking up on my jittery hands and need to scratch my arms when nervous, he grabbed my hands calming me down.

"Abe take John and get him to eat, please. He needs to look after himself, can you please" I grabbed Abe and got him promise and he did.