Chapter 91

NICKI POV

Aubrey got home before me. He was waiting in the bedroom for me when I got there.

"Hey, I'm sorry about to-" I began but he stopped me.

"I have a question for you"

The way he spoke sent chills down my spine.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

"How into this relationship are you? Am I just wasting my time?" he didn't look at me when he spoke.

I felt his words piercing into heart, "W-what do you mean?"

He exhaled, "Sometimes.. it seems like I'm putting more into this relationship than you are."

I ran through the recent events in my head and tried to figure out what was causing him to think that. All the while, I could feel my pulse and my heavy heart beat echoed through my body. I tried to gather my thoughts, to configure my words, to control my emotions until finally I was able to formulate a response. "I'm.. I'm sorry you feel that way. Thats the last thing I ever want you to think of me and of our relationship."

"Are you worth it?"

My heart sank, but at the same time there was the sting of disrespect that shot through my ribcage. "I'm sorry what?" I blinked at him.

"Are you worth it?" He repeated.

It was something about him so easily repeating such a demeaning question, that dried the tears that had been formulating, and gave me a sense of boldness to handle myself.

"Look, I don't know what the fuck that little phone call was that you got this morning.. or maybe if its the fact that your little friend is coming to town, but as long as you're sleeping in MY bed, and your parents and daughter are staying in MY house, you're working in MY office building and MY kids are in the other room... I'm gonna need you not to disrespect me like that ever again." I didn't want to snap on him, so believe it or not.. that wasn't me snapping. I just needed to regain some of the control.

"Is that how you feel?"

"Are you asking if I feel disrespected? Yes. Because I don't know how you expected me to react to you asking me whether or not I am worth it - Worth what Aubrey? All I've done was sit and try to be this perfect wife for you: I cook your favorite meals, we go on dates, I dress up for you, I gave you 3 kids, I took Aaliyah under wing, I got along with your parents, I have money, I give you more sex than you can apparently handle, and not to mention I left my fiancée for you.." I listed, "What more do you want?"

"You're blowing that statement out of proportion." He bellowed.

"I've allowed you to get away with a lot.. I took plenty of things you've said or done to the chin, I let you talk me into thinking I was overreacting each time. But no, Aubrey.. I'm not blowing your little statement out of proportion." I stood my ground, there was a little fire burning in me that kept me stable.

He didn't have a response, there was something in the silence and in the fact that through it all he was still unable to face me- the little fire inside of me faded softly, leaving behind one tiny spark of the flame that drifted through the darkness. I stood still, but I felt myself follow the spark as it floated around, dimly lighting its surroundings until finally it reached its apparent destination and I felt a tear escape from my eye.