Elisabeth Review

I usually don't review musicals but I will this time!!

Help lovelies I just finished watching the musical Elisabeth!!!!!! First off, my full name is Anna Elisabeth (spelled the same way!) and so obviously I loved it 😝

Anyway...

I'll tell you a little about it without spoiling because I encourage you to watch it!!

What is it?

An Austrian musical (watched with English subtitles of course) about the Empress Elisabeth who was for more complex and hid many secrets from the world. Everyone dances with Death, you see, but no one danced with Him like Elisabeth.

Synopsis:

Elisabeth ("Sisi") is a young, wild, and spirited teenager who longs for freedom away from being a princess. Her sister, Helene, has been growing up to one day marry the Young Emperor of Austria- Franz Joseph- a secret engagement arraigned by their mothers.

Before they travel to have Helene and Franz meet, Elisabeth injures herself at a party her mother is throwing by doing "circus tricks". The young girl almost dies, but when Death lays eyes on her, he falls desperately in love with the young princess and instead of giving her a kiss on the lips to kill her, he kisses her cheek and allows her to live.

Elisabeth longs for the "Dark Prince" who she believes saves her, but her Mama quickly tells her she is going mad to imagine that. Helene, Elisabeth, and Mama arrive about a year later to meet Franz Jospeh who instead of agreeing to marry Helene- finds himself in love with her beautiful younger sister: Elisabeth.

Elisabeth believes that Franz Jospeh is the only way she can become free as she pines for- to become an Empress. But she is forced to realize that it only locks her away in a life she selfishly does not want, and Death is furious that she did not choose to "dance" with him.

And her growing obsession, but yet refusal, of Death might just kill them all.

My Thoughts:

It was very dark but it was very beautiful at the same time. No one in this story is truly good (prepare to hate everyone at some point) but it makes everyone human. Including Death.

The music was haunting and eerie, but everyone just had a stunning voice to match it.

Okay I won't spoil anymore!!!! GO WATCH IT!!!!

I put the link on my message board!