Healing Garden

Johnny didn't say anything at first. He watched the night sky, waiting to talk at the right moment. His breathing even in pattern of a cycle, in and out as he looked for the right words. Above them, the clouds played hide and seek with the crescent moon. Despite being night time, the place wasn't dark as it was lighted. It looks surreal with the little fairly light decorations around the garden, adding a touch of magical powers.

"I've said it, and I'll say it again. I like you since the time you spilled that smelly food tray on me." He stopped and looked away to say the next line. "But, I've only started truly liking you the day I met your grandpa. To be honest, I'm thankful that your mother made you come to this school."

Hearing the mention of his mother, Timmy's jaw clenched tightly and his hands made a fist. "Tsk, my mother didn't do shit, except for paying the school tuition and the money for the dorm. You should thank my grandparents for that, instead of her."

The forceful calmness of his voice, made Johnny look away from the sky. There was curiosity swimming in his eyes as he glanced towards Timmy. "Why are you so against towards your mother? What'd she do to you that's making you this way?" A bewildered Johnny asked the man whose facial expression was torn between anguish and anger.

"You really wanna know?" The grave impression in his tone and face directed at Johnny, made everything so heavy you can cut a dull knife with it. There was a thin lipped on Timmy's face.

Breathing in deep, he closed his eyes and flashbacks of what happened came back. Then when he opened them, they all disappeared into nothing. He tilted his head and gazed on the twinkling stars above their heads. "It started during my elementary school years. I'm sure you know I had a brother that died around middle school year. Seeing as you did some digging in my background." That statement had Johnny a showed a sheepish grin on his face.

"Oh, so you're embarrassed about that now?" Teased Timmy, noticing the little blushed cheeks of Johnny. The grin morphed to a genuine smile as he shoulder bump the man's should next to him.

"Get back to the story."

"Okay, okay." Timmy's hands grabbed hold of Johnny's shoulder, stopping him from bumping to him again. "My brother, Jun, was always a sickly child, born with a congenital heart disease called Tetralogy of Fallot. When the time came for his surgery, my parents had to put of the surgery. I can't fault them since at that time my mom just had me, and giving birth cost money, especially with a baby's necessities and other things it need. When they have save just enough to get the surgery, my parents rushed my brother to the hospital."

"Around that time, he was frequently getting tired, fainting, and worst, seizures. I remember coming from school, thinking about my brother's condition and I would greet him first thing. But, I saw my parents and grandparents crying instead. I wondered why my grandparents were crying."

Pausing, Timmy breathed in and out, a deep cycle of three counts before continuing. Watching the man sitting next to him, looking troubled, Johnny reached out and rubbed his back.

"Turns out, he had a surgery that day. He didn't make it... The surgery failed because he loss too much blood. It was a total loss and everyone was blaming at each other, but yy mother mostly blamed my dad. They didn't know I was there, but I heard her say she could have aborted me and Jun could have lived. She put most of the blame on my dad and I, on our family." He faced Johnny and uttered with a melancholy smile. "If I didn't lived, my brother would have had a chance. It's basically my fault isn't it?"