We'll Miss You

"Ace." Wallace look up from the chair he was sitting on as Linda softly called out his name. "I made you a cup of tea. Careful, its hot." 

Handing the tea to her husband, Linda touched the back of his shoulder. "Why don't I watch him, and you can take a nap for a while. You've been up since yesterday." 

Wallace took a sip of the drink made for him, then place it on to the small bedside table next to him. He took his time in replying. 

"Lin, I'm fine. I just..." His voice lost sound and found no words, Wallace bowed his head to hide the tears that escaped. 

"You know the kids and I are here, Ace. You don't have to do everything yourself. We care about your dad as much as you care for him. Ace, don't shut as out." Linda begged, dropping to her knees. "Please."

Kneeling to his side, Linda embraced Wallace, and both wept silently. 

It wasn't long till the oldest family member woke up again in a fit of coughing. Coming from the hospital, he feel asleep on the way to their house. He woke up again and managed to walk the stairs to the second floor. Exhausted from the exerted energy, once on the bed, sleep came for him. 

"Fei Wen. Fei Wen, *Zai Na Li?" The low hoarse voice croaked. Wong Yi Fan lately had been waking up and calling his deceased wife's name. Ever since the last year of the death anniversary of Fei Wen, Yi Fan had been increasingly waking up and looking for her. And everyday, Wallace or Linda would calm him down.  [* Zai Na Li? - Where are you?]

"Ba, ba. Ma shi... Ta zoule. Ba, ta zoule. Ni mingbai wo shuo de ma?" [*Ba, ba. Ma shi... Ta zoule. Ba, ta zoule. Ni mingbai wo shuo de ma? - Pa, pa. Ma is... She (he) is gone. Do you understand?]

Wallace's effort to calm down his father. The old man now squirmed in Wallace's embrace, his hands waving in the air hitting Wallace on the face and Linda her shoulder. The couple let out a painful yelp, massaging the discomfort. 

Minutes passed by and Yi Fan gradually calmed down. Soon, he became quiet, but still awake. Although, his hysterics has subsided, Yi Fan kept muttering things under his breath. 

Another attempt of Wallace to bring back his father to the present. He asked, "Dad, do you know where you are right now?" 

Yi Fan faced his son and asked for his grandson. "Jian Hua. Za-... Go get Timmy for me, son." He paused. "...I need to speak to him." 

"*Hao ba, wo hui." Replied Wallace."Linda look after Dad. I'll be back with the kids." Linda agreed as she moves her head up and down. [*Hao ba, wo hui. - Okay, I will.]

Exiting the door, Wallace began to descend down the carpeted stairs. He reached the living room where the four people were chatting. Upon entering the room, the group of people turned their heads at his way. The chatter stopped, the room fell to silence, and all eyes were on Wallace. 

The medical staff thought she was needed, and stood up. Shaking his head, Wallace informed his children,"Lily, Bai, Timmy. Your grandfather is asking for you three. You guys need to go upstairs." The three understood what he mean and got up.

The trio went up the stairs with Lily, Bai, and Timmy in a line, respectively. Before going, Timmy gave a pat on Johnny's back. When Timmy's figure disappeared after his last footstep reached the top, Wallace walked a little closer to Johnny. 

Bloodshot eyes moved to the direction of the lone man. Johnny's clear, dark brown eyes faced ahead to the head of Wong Family. Speaking to him in a calm tone, Wallace spoke, "You won't mind staying down here, alone, for a while, will you? It's just... It's family matters."