Of Outrage and Jubilation

Everyone on the table were full and elated, having just finished eating and babbling their recent travels and parties they've attended to. During dinner, their latest gossiping were usually about their associations, but politics came up in their converstations, too. After eating, the topic shifted to the Spencers' and Chatwell's affair and their children.

"Would everyone like their desserts to be served now? Or should we talk of why we're all gathered here first?" Simon questioned. 

Johnny chimed in. "I'd rather you tell us why we're all here, dad. I'm rather full, and I'm sure everyone here would like to take a breather from eating, shouldn't we?" He looked around, seeing the rest agreed to his request. 

"As you say." 

His nostrils flared as he took a deep breath. Simon opened his closed eyes. "I called everyone here concerning the matter of my son and your daughter's engagement."

Eyes light up, and Amanda twittered from her husband and Simon.

"Oh! The engagement. Yes, I think we should move the date a little earlier? I've been meaning to ask you two about this, but with your campaigning going on, I was a little hesitant to disturb you with this matter." Amanda broke the silence with beaming smile plastered on her face. 

Simon's eyebrows furrowed as he thought of a way to say his next few words. "Yes, about that. It's actually the opposite."

"What do you mean the opposite?!" Demanded Amanda, her excited expression morphed into worry. She stood up as she banged against the tabled, her demeanor akin to a flared snake head. "Don't tell me what I think you're thinking of what you're going to say!"

Christopher grasped his wife's hand, pulling her down to take her seat. 

"Amanda. Calm down sweetheart." Said Christopher in a monotone voice.

"No, Christopher! I will not calm down. This is our daughter's life at stake. And Simon called us here about the engagement? I do not like the sound of this one bit!"

"You are making a big deal out of nothing."

"Nothing? You think this is nothing when it concerns the future of our daughter?" Her hands went flung everywhere. Her demeanor stayed the same after Simon spoke of their children's engagement. "You don't care a bit for Jessica's engagement at all!"

Trying to diffuse the worsening situation, Simon attempted to get a word. He was shushed by the hostile expression that came from Amanda. Natasha comforted Simon by entwining her fingers to his and squeezed it gently. 

"Honey, stop it. You're thinking irrational and acting as if this engagement is really a big deal. And, please do not insinuate that I don't care about our daughter's life. We have to let Simon explain what he meant."

Simon eyed Christopher, exchanging of appreciation to each other. "Thank you Christopher. Now, let me get on first by saying. I dearly respect you both. You two have been one of my closest friends and ally throughout my life. But, I do have to say that Johnny's and Jessica's engagement is a life changing, especially marrying a someone. I hoped the outcome of this dinner might be what I had planned, but it turns out, it was quite the opposite."

A scowl crosses Amanda's features. 

"So what are you trying to say Simon?" Asked Amanda in a low, calm voice. 

The two older men in the room sighed. Chris went on to consoling his wife, again. 

"Please darling, no more outburst. It might not be as bad as you think" Christopher asked Amanda with exasperation slowly rolling through him.