Chapter 10

“Just some disinfectant should do on those wounds dear.” The ageing doctor said with a smile, she turned her back on me to fetch the said medication for me from the mahogany cupboards in the generic white room.

I sat on a hospital like bed in the doctor’s surgery after much persuasion from my inner mind. The sensible part of my brain.

‘So…Doc, how long will these take to heal exactly?” I said just in an attempt to break the awkward silence of the haunting white room. I really loathed doctors’ offices. Especially ones like the one I was sitting in now.

The cold and lonely, generic and uncaring atmosphere of the ‘white room’. It was a fear of mine that showed only when faced by it. Other than that, you would never see me squirm over something as trivial as a ‘white room’.

I shivered as the Doctor swiped a cotton bud over a few of the red cuts on my arms and legs, my eyes following her every moment.

As she answered me, I couldn’t but help to look at her physical features.

She was ageing slightly; her greying blonde hair was pulled in a formal bun on the top of her head, elegant yet easy. She had crow’s feet at the sides of her warm brown eyes, and I couldn’t but help that they seemed familiar to me somehow…

And her delicate lips were pulled into smile.

Suddenly, she looked at me quickly, a look of worry and expectance washing over her calming features.

“…I’m sorry. What were you saying?” I said, embarrassed at my rudeness. I sat still and content as she told me again that I should get some rest, and my wounds should heal themselves quickly enough.

Right as I was packing up my belongings I had set on the floor beside me, I noticed her giving me ‘that look’ again.

“Yes?” I said, not rudely this time, and hoping she didn’t take it rudely, as I was still out of the habit of conversing with others bar my sister.

“Hope, please…take care. And be nice to him, trust me, he needs a chance to prove himself. Just one chance.”

I smiled at her grimly, knowing full well at who she was referring to.

“I’ll try.”

“What are you doing here Hope?”

I smiled sweetly at him. A fake smile placed on my placid lips.

“Trust me, I wouldn’t be here if I had the choice. And neither would she.” I nodded my head behind the one who took my sister from me.

“Angus, who’s here?” I heard Faye’s delicate voice from behind him. My ears perked at the sound of her voice, instantly filling my heart with the long awaited joy. I had missed her, more than words could express.

“Faye?” I called out to her, my voice wafting through Angus’ cabin, obviously reaching her, as a gasp echoed through the house.

We heard a collective thump, and a series of light foot pads on the floorboards.

And then, she was in my arms.

“Hope! I missed you so much! God how I missed you!” She snuggled into me, sniffing me as I sniffed her. Tears came into my eyes as I patted her soft curls.

“I missed you too Faye! You have no idea what’s gone on in the past few days…” My voice trailed off as it cracked slightly, shaking with emotion.

I pulled away from her and took a good look at her face.

It was still the same as I had remembered. Except, it seemed the slightest bit changed. She looked…