Chapter 2 - No Luck in the World

Hope

"Alright, Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to this year's run!" Bellowed Zed's voice over the crowd of werewolves.

Zed is our current Alpha, his mate (and wife) was Mary-Anne. They were both lovely people, and they cared for the pack well. But Faye and I barely knew them. We usually kept to ourselves, avoiding as much attention as possible. There was once a time when I played at their house as a girl...but that was a long time ago.

"Welcome also, to the newcomers of the Mating Run, who have come of age! Now I ask you to behave yourselves tonight, as the outcome of tonight could affect not only your future, but the future of the pack." A few whispers resonated through the pack. The younger girls all excited about a possible mate. They all had their hair loose, flowing wildly with the wind.

The rain was coming close, we could all smell it. I knew it was diminishing our chance of escape. I had come to a conclusion that Faye is in need of the most protecting tonight. I didn't tell her before we left our cabin, but the hollow I had for 'us' to hide in, was only big enough to hide one wolf. And I had chosen to hide Faye, naturally.

I knew I would have to run around quite a lot tonight, attempting to lure the hungry males away from my beloved sister. I wasn't a strong she-wolf, but I was fast. My plan was to run towards the rivers up South, hopefully leading the males on a wild goose chase away from Faye, and then run through the waters, making them lose my sent.

I shifted uncomfortably as Zed's eyes caught mine. I gripped onto Faye's hand and squeezed it reassuringly. "And tonight, I would like everyone to give this run the best they can. Try your hardest. I hope you can all find a suitable mate..." His eyes lightened up and he smiled in my direction, Sneaky bastard.

After a few more 'inspirational' words from him he stated, "That is everything, let the females start their run." He concluded his speech by shifting into his wolf form and howling up towards the sky. He must of been aiming for the moon, but it was covered up by the dark and dooming clouds.

All the males stood back, the pheromones starting to drive them over the edge. I laughed at their faces, they were priceless.

"Are you ready Faye?" I said with a slight whisper, only loud enough for her ears. She nodded slowly. I could tell she was scared, her heart pumped loudly and her breathing quickened.

"Let's go then." I said with a slight sense of exhilleration. We shifted to our chocolate brown wolves, almost identical in shades, except mine was the slightest bit darker. We could have been twins, if it weren't for the size difference.

We started off in a slow paced trot, our paws thudding slightly against the cool forest floor. The females around us gave one last glance to the males, hoping and praying that the male they liked would pick them.

As a gap cleared through the thirty or so females, I nudged Faye forward more and pushed her to the front. We leered left, away from the others. We broke out into a fast pace, our tongues lolling to the sides of our mouths. I giggled, and Faye followed suit. We ran faster and faster, our hearts beating together. It was always fun as a child to run through the woods, not giving a care in the world.

But it was different now. And I had seemingly forgotten for a moment. I growled at myself, Faye's protection is what is important now! Don't get sidetracked.

We leered left more, our legs pumping faster. My hind legs started to get tired, and I could feel Faye starting to tire also.

Just as we began to reach our hiding spot, the heavens opened up, and slimmed down our chances considerably. The smell of the rain was a sign that we were not going to be okay. I hope I'm wrong.

After half an hour of running, I knew that we were nearing the end of our pack's area. The tree hollow coming close to us.

Our drenched fur began to get heavier, weighing us down. We slowed up a little, and realised that we were there.

A large howl sounded through the woods, and the rest of the males howls resignated after it. It was the starting of the actual run.

The males were always quicker than us poor females, and could run twice as fast as us if they put their mind to it. I knew that they would be here within fifteen minutes if they could actually pick up any lingering scent of us that the rain had left untouched.

As we stood outside of the hollow, I nuzzled up to Faye, giving her a kiss goodbye. She looked at me confused, her eyes looking up to me with despair. She knew what I was planning to do. I shoved her into the tree, and barked at her to stay.

She sat, whimpering at me, begging me to stay. I shook my head, and turned around. Leaving my sister in the hollow, safe and protected, away from the male population of the pack.

*Edited*