Chapter 16

“Are you sure you want to do this? You could give it a few more days…” I spoke to her, my beautiful mate, worry lacing my voice.

She simply nodded, her bare feet shuffling on the wooden floorboards of Angus’ house. She was beyond nervous. And from what Angus had told me, she had reason to be. That blow up with her sister must have been hard, but she was letting me in now. I could help her.

From the moment she had seen me at Duncan’s house, she had been more relaxed. He must have done something or said something to her. It made me angry, but I didn’t want to become over possessive just yet in front of her. I would have to keep my jealousy to myself for a while longer until I knew she was fully comfortable with being around me.

I wanted to kiss her so bad, but I knew if I had kissed her, I would have scared her away.

She wasn’t ready for full affection and physical contact like I was. She may have had second thoughts about being with me due to running away and getting kidnapped, (which aggravated and annoyed me beyond end) she at least reconsidered being with me. I was glad for that second chance, because now, at least I knew she wasn’t going to resist me that much longer.

I still couldn’t fully mate with her due to her being too young, but her birthday was coming up, and I wanted to have her on my side fully before then.

I wanted her so bad, but I need to bide my time.

“I’m sure. I just want to fix it. I don’t like having her out of my life. I accept the fact that she has a mate now, and I am willing to give her up at the least. I already gave Angus my consent. I trust him.”

I growled at that last comment. I trust him.

He was going after her too in the forest the night of the mating run. He claims it was to help me get her, but I saw the way he looked at her. After I had told him of my love for her, he seemed to notice her more. I saw it in the way he looked at her. But I needed her.

We had been best friend’s way before her parent’s death. We drifted apart before that unfortunate event, and after that, I stopped seeing her. But I knew that I wanted her.

I had told my dad even, he wanted to help me convince her, but I knew she wouldn’t listen. She was too heartbroken. The only way I could win her over and keep her as my mate was to catch her off guard, and slowly win her over.

But because of her stunt, my plan was going right. She just sped up the process more by letting herself go and get captured. I was still angered at that fact, but I was also so glad to have the opportunity to hug her without her forcing herself from my arms.

She actually accepted my embrace, and even hugged me back a little.

It made me feel better when Duncan sulked after her.

He was there that night too. He and Angus fought one another after I took them both on, but luckily I got to her first.

Angus must have found Faye after that incident when he went to lick his wounds and pride. Luckily he had found her though…the hunters were back on our land, so extra measures had to be taken to ensure the safety of us werewolves.

I was somewhat annoyed with the fact that my best friend and future Beta had wanted my mate, but eventually got her younger sister. It was strange to me, that I was jealous that he had got her. She did just look exactly like Hope though. Angus still went for another girl who looked like Hope. His mind was still on my mate when he saved Faye.

I knocked on the door; Angus almost immediately opened the door, smiling in sheer happiness.

“Thank God you’re OK, Hope. Faye has been terrified for you.” He pulled her into a hug, and I stiffened. So did she.

“Umm…Y-Yeah. I would be too if I were her. Is she ok? Can I see her please?”  She said at a fast pace, neither Angus or I picking up her words clearly without having to translate them.

“Come in.” His smile widened more, if that were possible, and he pulled away from her, and pushed her inside to her sister.

I watched as she ran to the room where Faye slept, the sunset peaking over my shoulder and setting a dark shadow inside the walkway of the house.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” Angus gripped my forearm as I stared after my mates retreating figure. I nodded half-heartedly.

He slowly closed the door, avoiding making a sound of disruption for the two sisters.

“So…We haven’t had much time to talk about what happened that night. I just wanted to apologise, firstly. For moving on in your girl…”

I inwardly growled in approval, damn right Angus.

“I didn’t realise how much she actually meant to you. I know you said you’ve been going after her for a few years now during the mating run, but I just…I caught her scent, and before I knew it, I was going after her. I couldn’t help myself. But then I saw you looking for her, and my mind sort of snapped in half. I wanted her, but I knew deep down it wasn’t as much as you wanted and needed her.”

I snorted. “Really Angus? From the amount of times I’ve ever talked to you about her, and yet you still went? Man, that’s not cool. I forgive you and all, but that was a real dick move. Just saying.” I replied loudly. My jealousy rising in a form of anger.

“But man, after we fought, I went off in the opposite direction and I found Faye. The hunters were closing in on her, and she was trapped in a tree hollow. I think she may have been hiding, perhaps due to Faye…But anyways, I saw her, all innocent and terrified. And I knew then, that she was my mate. I had this urge to protect her, to save her from those hunters. There were only three of them…but I knew I could take them on. Or at least distract them enough for her to escape…”

I nodded, deep in thought. I needed to talk to Dad about the hunters on our land. We needed a plan, and soon, to rid them. Especially before they found the village.

“It’s OK. I forgive you, really Angus. Can’t stay mad for long at my future Beta, now can I?” I nudged his arm cheekily.

He replied with a laugh, and sighed.

“Thank God…OK, now that’s over, next issue…” I looked at him in confusion.

“Wha-…” I stopped as he raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“Kissed her yet? Or further?” I winced at his words. I knew that I couldn’t kiss her yet, due to her withdrawal from her old life, and the fact that she wasn’t yet old enough for me to claim her as mine.

Keyword being yet.

“I’m working on it Angus. Jeez.” I said, embarrassed.

“Whipped!” He said, trying to hide his accusation behind a fake cough.

I punched him lightly in the shoulder, and leaned in for the door handle.

I pulled it open as he said “Oh sure, let yourself into my house. And I’m glad you didn’t deny that you’re whipped.” He said in a sing-song voice. He then continued to do a whip sound, and knowing Angus, the appropriate movement to go with that sound.

“I’m not going to deny it. But we are in the same boat, buddy.” I implied, suggestively.

He stopped walking.

“At least I can legally get some before you though, aye?” I laughed at his huff of annoyance.

Got him.