Dictionary

We met the principal in his chamber who greeted us warmly.

I was previously the student of the college and Principal Sir loved me. So, admission wasn’t a problem.

Siri went to look about the college … {Yeah! Someone was excited about their new college.}

“Sir! I have a request for you.” He nodded. “Sir, Siri does not want to disclose her marital status to anyone in the college … umm … because she thinks she will be treated … kind of … differently …” {I did not know how to put it because I myself did not completely get the logic behind her argument. However, I did not want her to face problems because of me.}

“Sure Hari! I can understand how much concern you have towards her, and I can see her point too. So just don’t worry. This fact will remain confidential.” He said, grinning widely and I smiled in return.

“Thank you!”

“My pleasure.” He waved and I exited the room after shaking his hand.

By the time, I caught up with her, she was almost done with admiring the infrastructure of the college. She also seemed to befriend the peon, who was eager to leak out few secrets regarding the college. {Why is she nice to everyone except me? I am her husband and she does not even care to glance into my eyes, while here she is, listening to that person, wide eyed.

Is someone jealous here?

Shut up!}

“Okay! bye Sam.” She waved at him and started walking towards me.

I smiled at her. “Liked the place?”

“It is a wonderful college. Thanks! I never thought I would study in such a prestigious institution. Thanks a lot …”

“No need to thank me.”

“But I have to … for all that you have done to me. It was only because of your efforts that the transfer worked …”

“Okay then! Since you are extremely eager to thank me, how about a lunch together?”

“But we always have … wait … are you talking about taking me out for lunch?” She asked wide eyed.

“Do you need to get too surprised by it? I didn’t even use the word ‘date’.”
{Huh seriously! A date with your wife!? Doesn't it sound crazy?

Nope. More than a wife, she is my love and I would love to take her on dates.}

“What?” She was red like a tomato.

I smirked and started the car. We went to my favourite restaurant. It was a beautiful place with gardens, fountains and a peaceful atmosphere.

“Beautiful!” She gasped.

I smiled and led her in. After the menu card arrived, I asked her to place the order.

“I am fine with anything you order.”

“Don’t hesitate.”

“No. I am not hesitating. I am here for the first time. So, I am unaware of the delicacies here. So please, go ahead and order for me.”

“Okay. I get it.”

I ordered for the specials prepared there. All the while, she was staring at me. Once the waiter disappeared, I looked at her. But she quickly averted her gaze from me, and fixed it on the ceiling. I was in a mood to tease her.

“Is there anything you want to tell me?”

“No.”

“Then why were you staring at me?”

Her face became tomato red. I loved the blush. It reminded me that she was still my beautiful wife and not some ‘strict headmistress of army school’.  I laughed at my own thoughts. {Bravo! What a great comparison!This girl has brought out your inner talent!}

She stared at me again. “Why are you laughing without a reason?” {She already thinks I am insane. Great!}

“Do people call you something like … umm … lady Hitler?”

Her face was worth watching. “How … how … do you know?”

{I nailed it!} “Just a guess. Is it some kind of nickname for you?”

She nodded, her face again like a tomato. I was trying hard to suppress my laughter. {Poor Hari! Taming her would be a tough job. All the best!}

“All my friends, my relatives and at times my parents too call me that. I don’t understand why.”

I felt pity for her. “May be because you are too strict.”

“Strict? I am not any ‘headmistress of an army school’!”

That was it. I could not control my laughter anymore. I laughed and laughed until my stomach ached and tears rolled out of my eyes. But the fact that she thought exactly like me, (or to put it frankly, she was on the same level of craziness like me) amused me.

However, she started freaking out due to my outburst of laughter. People around started looking at me too. I quickly composed myself and apologised to them.

“What happened to you? Who released laughing gas into your lungs?”

“Seriously Siri! Do you even have a word called ‘fun’ in your dictionary?”

“It is there in ‘Oxford’ dictionary. And that is what I have.” She said with a blank face.

“Don’t worry. I will help cure your disease.”

“I am not suffering from any disease.” She snapped. I had to literally place my palm on her mouth, so we don’t attract any more attention from the crowd. {I am not going out with this person again. She will make a laughing stock of us in a public space.}

Meanwhile, our order arrived and I signalled her to eat silently. She got engrossed in admiring the wonderful taste of the delicious food.

Only after we entered the car, after paying the bill; She spoke again.