Nickname

“Wait son! You have come from so far. It is noon time and you must have lunch at our home. It would also be very tiring to drive back today and come again tomorrow. Please stay for today, we too want to spend some time with you.”

{Yes! It is tiring to drive for long. It seems like a good idea.}

“But I have not brought any clothes with me … to change.”

“Don’t worry. You can change into my dress immediately. Siri will wash this pair and it will be dried and ironed by tomorrow, so that you can use it.”

I smiled and nodded at uncle.

Aunty immediately rushed to kitchen with Siri behind her.

I spoke with uncle about my office and workload and all other routine matters. After ½ hour, uncle had got a call from his office and he became busy on his laptop.

I grabbed a nearby magazine. But the hushed voices from the kitchen grabbed my attention.

“How could you be so irresponsible and indifferent Siri? You are expected to know it.”

“But how mom? I never interacted that much with him.”   

“Yes! It is not your mistake, it is mine. I should never have given you the lenience. We treated you like a princess. But that doesn’t mean you will be treated like that everywhere. You are his wife now. You should know his likes and dislikes. You should make him happy by your words and deeds.”

“But why mom? Why should girls always adjust?”

“I don’t have an answer. But one thing I know is that if you keep him happy, you will also lead a happy life. Whatever be the matter, remember that you both are tied together throughout life and you must develop the affection towards him. Only then will you be treated affectionately. What you give, you get. It doesn’t matter who takes the first step (or apologises first), so don’t let your ego come between you both. Normally men don’t let go of their ego easily. For a happy and peaceful life, it is better you initiate the peace. Ultimately, he will understand.”

“Mom! I don’t understand all this.”

“Now go find out what he likes.”

“Now?”

“If not now, when? After a week? But I should cook, now right?”

I heard footsteps approaching me and I pretended to be reading the book.

“Ahem …”

I looked up.

“Mom … umm … asked …”

“Asked what?”

“What do you like to eat?”

“Oh! So, your mother wants to know but you do not?”

I turned my attention back to the magazine. {Well, the magazine was boring. But I wanted to tease her a bit. She has been ignoring me a lot. And I DON’T like it.}

“No …”

“No?”

“I mean it is not like that. Even I want to know.”

“Why?”

“What?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“Mom asked me to know.”

I face palmed.

“What did I do? Why are you angry?”

“Nothing. Go tell your MOM not to prepare anything heavy or oily. I like simple curd rice.”

She nodded and went back to kitchen. I waited for her to return, as I knew that her mother will not accept this menu. She is inclined to cook special delicacies for me.

As expected, she returned. I pretended to ignore her.

“Ahem …”

I ignored.

“Ahem … Ahem …”

“Is that my name?” I looked at her seriously.

“Sorry.”

“Do you know my name?”
She nodded.

“Then call me by my name.”

She looked horrified. “I cannot. Mother warned me not to …”

“It’s okay. I give you permission.”

She was not ready to agree. I sighed.

“Okay at least call me by some nickname. I feel irritated by ‘Ahem-Ahem’.”

“Siri!” Her mother called.

“Please tell me another dish that you like.” She hurried me.

I smirked. “Nickname first.”

“Please …”

I shook my head horizontally.

“Monster …” She murmured.

But I heard it.

“What?” I raised an eyebrow.