Chapter 22 - The Preparations

Author's Note: Sorry about the short chapter, but at least you guys have faster updates... This story really didn't turn out how I wanted it to at first. Yeah... Depressing...

Editor's Note: I might be fixing it! Maybe...... I'm definitely happier with the beginning, but I still have a few more chapters to hammer out here! Give me encouragement by following the links in my bio!

Chapter 22

Naruto's P.O.V.

As the genin begin overpowering the genjutsu and passing our little test, they stay huddled as far from me as they can get. They totally aren't afraid of me or anything. Sasuke and Sakura, the first two to come out of the genjutsu, don't try speaking to me or looking at me.

It's good that they realize the part that they need to play now. Within minutes, Konoha's rookie 9 and team Gai successfully escape the genjutsu along with both of the remaining teams from the Sound and the Sand Siblings.

"Taichou," Itachi calls from above, causing my gaze to cut to him automatically. "No one else will be escaping the genjutsu, you can go on," he insists. I nod.

"Hello again, genin," I state calmly, the sadistic edge from my voice gone. "I'm sure that you're all wondering what that was for, yes?" I ask. There are a few nods while Shikamaru stares me down. "Well, that genjutsu was just our way of weeding out the rest of the spies that have infiltrated Konoha," I explain simply.

"Spies for who?" Neji asks, his eyebrows furrowing the slightest bit as he casts a slightly worried glance at Hinata. I catch Gaara's gaze carefully looking over the other genin.

"A traitor," I answer. "I believe only a few of you know my name, however now, you will all be trusted with the truth of my identity. Keeping my identity hidden means keeping my life, and I'd rather not die just yet, so keep that in mind, please," I request, forcing my mask to dissipate as I speak.

"Huh? Naruto?" Kiba shouts.

"Is this a prank or something?" Chouji asks between bites of chips.

"No, it isn't," I answer. "I am Namikaze-Uzumaki Naruto, the jinchuuriki of the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox, and I've been the commander of the ANBU since the Uchiha Massacre," I state. I hear Gaara growl slightly. "Gaara, what is your problem with me?" I shout in annoyance.

"I simply hate you and your stupid happy attitude," Gaara states.

"Well, get over yourself," I scold. "My village is going to war. I would help Suna if they needed it. Now, we need you," I demand.

"We will of course help, Naruto-kun," Temari interjects. "This is part of why our father sent us here. He's suspected there may be a traitor in your midst ever since shinobi dressed in Konoha garb tried to assassinate him a few months ago," she explains. I nod.

"Why should I give a damn what that stupid old man wants?" Gaara asks harshly.

"You should be happy that you have a father," Neji replies venomously.

Gaara's eyes meet Neji's, and I hold back a chuckle at the pink that surfaces on Gaara's cheeks.

'Awwww, young love!'

"Like you're any better, kit," Kurama protests.

"Keep your youngest brother under control, please," I request easily. "Alright, everyone, listen up," I demand. "The identity of Konoha's traitor is Shimura Danzo. Almost everything has been prepared already, but now is the moment when we attack him. I cannot tell you why he is a traitor, as that is confidential, however I will tell you that you will be fighting special operatives called ROOT agents. Don't kill them, if at all possible, but since they are traitors, if you have no way of beating them, killing them won't be a problem," I explain.

"So, is this what you need my help with?" Shikamaru asks with a yawn.

"Yep," I answer, chuckling. "So, are you guys ready to kick some enemy ass?" I ask thunderously.

There's a chorus of answers, all relating somehow to the word yes. I'll take what I can get, I suppose.

Children shouldn't have to see war like this. It isn't fair, not in the slightest. Maybe by doing this now, by doing everything I can to weed out the Konoha traitors and help the victims, I'll be able to make a difference in the future.

I can only hope that one day I'll be able to change the world for the better, like I've wished for ever since I was a child. This is the first step into stopping that endless cycle of pain.

Edited 12-15-2020