Chapter 12 - In Sickness and in Health

Chapter 12 - In Sickness and In Health

Author's Note: This chapter is mostly some interesting plot info, but it's pretty short. I'm not even sorry. I am sorry if I haven't replied to everyone's comments. I do try, but I tend to lose some in my massive influx of notifications. Thank you all for your support.

Editor's Note: Just a little note, this chapter reintroduces some more foul language, so if that isn't your cup of tea, maybe avoid the parts where Naruto starts getting really peeved. Literally why do I think these chapters are short? Some of them are massive! Also, I have not made it a priority to reply to comments in so long! I mean, I've read all of them (probably), but sometimes, there just aren't any good responses! I kind of wish that you could like or react to comments instead. Oh well, come see me on platforms that do allow meaningless forms of communication by following the links in my bio! Or maybe purchase yourself some fun things at Quintessential Ideas, my Redbubble shop (link is also in my bio)!

Chapter 12

Third Person P.O.V.

At the Konoha shinobi academy, a certain classroom is crowded with 26 students, some of which being the one and only Uchiha Sasuke, with his fangirls Haruno Sakura and Yamanaka Ino, who are joined by Nara Shikamaru, Akimichi Choji, Hyuuga Hinata, Aburame Shino, and Inuzuka Kiba. Despite the chatter in the room, things are abnormally quiet. Without the blond jinchuuriki in the room, things seemed a bit darker and a bit quieter.

Most of the freshly-minted genin weren't worried that the idiotic blond wasn't there yet. A few in the class, however, were worried about the boy. Namely Sasuke, Hinata, and Ino.

Hinata was worried because she didn't want Naruto to miss any important information. If he did, she would certainly try her best to relay it to him, hopefully without the appearance of her dreaded stutter.

Ino was worried because on the day of the graduation exam, Naruto had been acting out of character. Not only that, but one of his eyes was violet! He did say it was nothing, but Ino's dad had always told her to be nice to the blond. She'd never listened to his advice and now felt that she really should have.

Sasuke was worried because he knew that Naruto hadn't been sleeping. After leaving, Sasuke kept thinking and realized that he had more questions for Naruto and went to find the jinchuuriki several times over the week. His attempts had been fruitless.

The door slides open and Iruka enters. He quickly scans the room, his ANBU training kicking in as he counted everyone in the room and made mental notes of their weaknesses should any of them attack. By now, this was simply second nature for the ex-ANBU.

The room quickly quiets down, Sakura and Ino seating themselves on either side of Sasuke. Iruka takes note of the fact that Naruto isn't in the room. Iruka quickly activates his Sensory, which is a learned skill taught to him by the jinchuuriki. He doesn't sense Naruto's chakra in the village. Iruka sighs.

'I guess Naruto must've gotten delayed with some random duty. Have I seen him at all in the past week?' Iruka asks himself.

"Alright class, since Naruto is late, we'll begin without him. Let's hope he bothers to show up, ne?" Iruka announces. His last statement got a few chuckles out of the class. That was good because they had all looked a bit tense before.

"I'll begin by saying congratulations once more. You all are officially ninja. I promise, though, the road will not be easy. Being a shinobi isn't a game. This lifestyle is how people die, and I hate to say it, but at least one of you in this room will die on a mission before becoming a jonin," Iruka's explanation was met with solemn silence. This particular group of children had all lost family members during the fateful Kyuubi attack, something none of them had even been alive for.