Chapter 20 - The Chuunin Exams (1)

Author's Note: Hello, everyone. In case you don't know yet, this story will end on chapter 25, so it's almost over. I'm also currently looking for a beta-reader, or a couple, to help me out with my original novel The Path to Despair. Message me if you're interested. I now have a Twitter and a Tumblr, so follow me there if you want.

https://twitter.com/talina_tpq

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/talina-tpq

Just a little info, I don't write lemon, so don't expect anything like that in this story. I'll start taking oneshot requests. No lemon. If I don't know the anime, I'll probably turn down your request.

I want to start a little authors' email circle, specifically for critiquing. I know that it can be embarrassing to leave a comment of that sort for everyone to see, so that's why I'm doing this. If you're interested, message me your email address and I'll shoot you an email!

Current update schedule for this story: SUNDAY, WEDNESDAY, AND FRIDAY.

Enjoy the chapter while I try to ignore my aching body. Casually ran 4 miles yesterday. There's this hill called cemetery hill. With that thing involved, my time was 54 minutes. It's eh, but I wasn't the last person to finish... Yay...

Editor's Note: Let the last arc begin! Those links are broken! If you'd actually like to support me, head over to the links in my bio and maybe consider purchasing something from my Redbubble shop! Most proceeds go towards school or paying for my coffee-induced writing sessions!

Chapter 20

Naruto's P.O.V.

After the mess in the Land of the Waves, we were glad to make it back in one piece. It was a painful experience for me to say the least. I got exposed as Kitsune-sama, though my mission wasn't found out, and I got offered assistance from bad guys to take out another bad guy. It really didn't help that they were all so polite about it.

Besides that, I totally lost control of Kurama's chakra in my rage, justified though it was. I murdered a man right in front of Sasuke. If that didn't kill my chances with Sasuke, I don't know what would. Though, I probably didn't have a chance to begin with. I sigh lightly.

I lean against the railing of the bridge near our training ground. As usual, Sasuke, Sakura, and I are here, but there's no sign of Kakashi and we're on hour number two of waiting. I sigh again. Even the sights that come with being able to see, courtesy of Sasori, can't entertain me for this long.

I can't even stare at Sasuke. If I do, he looks at me like I'm a stalker. Hopefully, he'll never know how accurate that thought is. It's another painfully long few minutes before Kakashi appears in a poof of smoke like usual.

Sakura quietly scolds him for being late once more while he makes his terrible excuses. Her initial squealing and screeching has definitely calmed down since she found out that my ears are sensitive. I'm thankful for having her as a friend. Maybe if Sasuke and I even did get together (doubtful), we'd have her support rather than her opposition.

"Anyway," Kakashi starts, finally getting Sakura to stop scolding him. "Today isn't a mission, today is a thinking day," he chirps. Already knowing what he's talking about, I remain impassive. "All of you need to decide whether or not you want to enter the chuunin exams, but do know that I have recommended all three of you for them," he states. The genin turn to me.

"Do you think that we're ready for the exams?" Sasuke asks.

"I think that you are very strong," I state carefully, being cautious not to say something that would totally give away the coming plan. "Do know that I cannot help you, but I think that you both should go for it. I know that I'm taking the opportunity," I shrug.