Chapter 16 - Are You Serious?!

Author's Note: I'm back with another chapter! Just to let you guys know, I have finals coming up rapidly, and since I won't be able to update (or write, for that matter), I thought that this would be the perfect time to change my update schedule. From now on, I'll be updating on Sundays. The next update will be the Sunday after my finals, which is May 28th, I think. My last day of school is the 26th. Anyway, I really want to keep my straight A's, so I'm sorry. Anywho, interesting stuff is going on in this chapter. It's the start of the SasuNaru! Enjoy!

Editor's Note: Ah, the fun times of non-pandemic school. How I miss those. Social distancing has made me lonely, so come stalk my social media or get yourself some cool merch from my Redbubble shop!

Chapter 16

Third Person P.O.V.

The bridge near training ground 7 is rarely ever occupied, except in the morning. In the morning, the three genin under Hatake Kakashi's tutelage meet there and wait the typical ten minutes to an hour that Kakashi manages to get away with being late under Naruto's watchful Sensory.

To be fair, he's typically on an ANBU mission nowadays. Now, all four members are gathered and food, weapons, and the four's parafernalia are all scattered around them. Kakashi is lecturing them about what to pack for different types of missions as the genin eat the sandwiches Kakashi had bought on his way to the bridge with Sasuke. After a few months together, their team dynamics were surely improving, and Kakashi got all of them their favorite sandwich of choice.

"So, that should be everything. Any questions?" Kakashi concludes.

The three genin shake their heads.

"Alright then. Meet at the gate tomorrow at eight in the morning. I won't be late either, I promise," he chuckles. "I know that you're all probably a bit nervous for your first C-rank mission, but I'm sure that it'll go off without a hitch. Make sure to sleep well tonight, and bring your packs. Team dismissed," he finishes.

"Naruto, Sasuke, do you guys want to get something to eat later?" Sakura asks.

Sasuke's eyes widen a fraction and Naruto's mouth twitches upwards into a soft smile. Kakashi trains his eye on the pinkette. She usually asks Sasuke out, so that wasn't new, but she'd never invited Naruto along before.

"I'm sorry, Sakura-chan, but I need to go talk to Kaito-san about a weapon he's making me. I'm hoping that it's ready. But I really appreciate the invitation!" Naruto says apologetically.

His eyes glimmer like jewels, catching everyone off-guard as they catch the light. Naruto's eyes were honestly gorgeous, so much so that it was hard to believe that they were his second set.

'Kurama truly did a good job reconstructing them.' Kakashi muses to himself.

"Oh, you commissioned something besides the jacket?" she asks, eyeing the black jacket that he's currently wearing.

"I ask Kaito-san for stuff all the time!" Naruto laughs, his face scrunching up cutely.

His features may be more angular than with the henge, but he still had some baby fat on those cheeks.

"Sasuke, you know Higurashi Kaito, right? If I recall correctly, your father got along well with him," he points out.

"Yeah, I know him. He made all of my family's custom weapons, from my dad's intricate bomb seals that he'd use for police work to my brother's swords," Sasuke recalls. "He's truly a weapons master. His daughter was last year's top kunoichi, right?" he asks.