1

Lauren's POV

A scream, a bang, and nothing more. That's all we hear of Megan's murder.

We heard the pain in her scream and started to run to the door. I stop dead in my tracks as I see the scene in front of my eyes.

The blood. So much blood. The smell is overwhelming. Sarah pushes past me but stops as she sees the horror that is Megan's deceased body. She shoots her hand up to cover her mouth. I squeeze my eyes shut as I try not to gag. I get out my phone to call 911 when I realize there's no signal.
"Lauren let's g-go for a walk to f-find a cell signal" Sarah says, her voice cracking. I nod slowly, not taking my eyes off the scene as tears stream down my face. I haven't quite processed the situation. I just want to get away from this to call for help. Maybe we can save her.

Or maybe it's too late.

I run down the road with Sarah as I sob. This can't be real. It must be a dream.

After running for a few minutes, Sarah finally get a signal. She dials 911 as fast as she can.

Then it all happens so fast. I hear footsteps behind me. I whip around but as soon as I hear a voice talking on Sarah's phone, someone grabs me. I catch a glimpse of the killer. Before I can do anything, the person injects me with something making the world spin and go black.

•••

I wake up in my bed, with no memory of the past night. How much did we drink?! I think to myself while rubbing my aching head. Just then, my mom walks in.

"Oh you're awake!" She says.

"Yeah.... what happened last night?" I ask

"You.... you don't remember?" She asks, her face turning grim.

".... no why? Is everything ok?"

"Honey..." she pauses as she sits down on my bed. "Megan.... she is dead."

Her words hang in the air as my heart drops to my stomach. She's- she's dead? This must be a practical joke.

"What d-do you mean?" I manage to stutter out. "What happened? How....?" Tears build up in my eyes as I realize she's not joking. I don't understand... How can I not remember???

"We found you and Sarah about 7 minutes down the road of the cabin you were all staying at. You were both unconscious. When the police got to the cabin... well.... she had been...." my mothers voice trails off.

"Murdered??" I ask, shocked.

"Why don't you get some rest and we can talk more about this later." She says as she starts so choke up as well.

My mother starts to walk towards the door. I try to stop her but all I can manage is a squeak before I burst into tears again. How can I not remember?? Why were we unconscious?? Who could possibly do this???

This can't be real. In a second I will wake up from the worst nightmare ever. Any minute I will wake up.

It's all too much. I eventually cry myself back to sleep, the only thing on my mind is how I'll never see Megan again.