21

Lauren's POV

More darkness. More pain.

I don't know how long I'm out but it feels like forever. Once in a while a doctor will come in and check on me, but they'll always give the same answer. They don't know when or if I'll wake up.

The pain is no longer just in my chest, it's everywhere. It's constant. A jabbing pain all over my body.

At some point, as I'm still laying lifeless, in pain, alone, I hear a familiar but unwelcome voice that makes my blood run cold.

Sarah.

"This... this is just so horrible. I just lost Meghan and I can't loose her too..." Sarah says. her voice cracks at the end. She's faking so she seems like a concerned friend and not a cold blooded murderer.

YOURE THE REASON SHES DEAD! I want to scream. YOU KILLED HER! YOU DONT FEEL BAD!

Then Aaron enters. I want to scream. I want to cry. I want to tell Ian to get out of there. But I can't, so I just lay there, motionless. Unable to speak, move or see.

Aaron walks over and strokes my hair. I want to scream. I want to throw up. I want to go home.

He leans down and whispers something in my ear. Something to make my heart stop. Even in my state, I can hear him perfectly.

"You know why we killed Meghan? She was selling drugs for money. She was even selling her body to grown men for money. Sarah told her to stop but she didn't listen. Sarah tried to help her but she didn't listen. She disgusted me. People like her disgust me. No self respect. You know why we are gonna kill you? Because you didn't listen to us when we said to stop searching. You know too much. Even if you wake up, we will never go away."

He then straightens up and walks away.

I knew Meghan's family was very in need of money but this... this can't be true. Meghan's Dad was addicted to gambling and lost most of their savings. All of Meghan's pay cheques would go towards paying bills at home. I never imagined she would resort to selling drugs and... her own innocence.... The thought makes me sick.

They're sick. To kill someone because they wont listen and they're doing something that you don't agree with.... they are psychotic. Crazy. Sick.

I want to jump up and scream. I want to run to the police and tell them everything.

But I can't. I'm stuck in this hospital, and I'm stuck in this state of unconsciousness and pain.

Sarah starts to "cry" and walks over beside my bed. She then also starts to whisper in my ear.

"Don't worry. We'll take great care of Ian and your mom when you're gone. For good." Even though I can't see, I can hear the evil smirk in her voice when she adds that last part.

I feel a hot rage filling up inside me, along with the constant pain jabbing at every part of my body. I will not let either of them lay a finger on anyone else, even if it kills me. Which it might actually.

Thankfully, Aaron and Sarah leave shortly after. My mother- who has been talking with the doctor this whole time- leaves to get coffee for them both. It's just Ian and I now.

He walks around to the side of the bed. He's silent for a while, but then he starts to cry.

"Please Laur. Please wake up. Please I need you." He whispers, barely audible. He takes my hand. "Please"

My heart burns with the need to reach out and touch him, to speak up and tell someone, to feel something other than pain. I can't just lay here while two murderers are loose, not even suspected. My best friend was murdered and I need to do something.

Suddenly, I feel a tingle in the tip of my finger. I take advantage of that to try my hardest to move, despite the blinding pain. I need to wake up. From the sudden intake of breath that came from Ian, I'm guessing I was able to move my finger slightly.

I am ready. I am ready to wake up. I am ready to do something. I am ready.

I summon every ounce of strength in my body and focus on seeing Ian and my mother again. A small, bright light appears and I reach up towards it. The pain is unbearable and it's in every inch of my body, but I continue to focus on moving towards the light. It takes all I've got, but I'm finally engrossed in the light and the pain fades slightly. Then, the light slowly drifts out of my vision and leaves me starring up at a hospital ceiling.

"Nurse! Doctor!" I hear a familiar voice call out beside me. I try to turn my head but pain explodes in my chest. Suddenly, I'm surrounded by unfamiliar faces and Ian is whisked from the room.

"...change in heart rate.... activity in the brain... waking up..."

The doctors faces all blur together as I stare up at the ceiling while they inject me with various medications and use their fancy equipment to make sure I'm really awake. My hearing is still echo-y and my vision is still fuzzy, but I'm just happy I'm awake.

I need to tell someone about Sarah and Aaron before they come back here and try to "finish what they started".

They continue to check me for another hour and a half, and although my hearing and sight has gotten better, the pain has not. The memories are slowly coming back to me and I remember what Sarah did to me. I've tried to tell people but I can't speak yet. The doctors say it should be back to normal soon though. At least I'm hoping.

A nurse leaves and comes back with Ian  and my mother following anxiously behind her. Ian instantly rushes over and grabs my hand. I smile at him, unable to do anything but that.

----------------------------------------------