15

Lauren's POV

When I was finished, I was shaking so violently and crying so hard I could barely move.

I hear the front door open and I stop breathing. Footsteps coming up the stairs and I swear my heart stops. I shuffle back into the bathroom corner. The footsteps inch closer and closer and I prepare myself for the worst, as I take a small breath. A figure I merged in the doorway.

Ian.

I exhale in relief and fall into his arms.

"Woah hey! What's wrong Laur?" He says softly, as if not to scare me. I don't answer I just cling onto him. He reaches down and sweeps me into his arms easily. He's gotten so much stronger since I last see him.

He carries me into my room as I continue to cling to him and bury my face in his shirt. He lays me down on my bed and sits next to me. I finally let go. He pushes a strand of hair off my eyes.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" He asks softly.

I shake my head.

"Do you want me to leave you alone?"

My eyes widen and I shake my head vigorously.

"Ok, ok. I'll stay." He smiles sadly and and scoots up next to me. I've never noticed how good looking Ian is until now.  He has short, red hair and brown, beautiful eyes. I lay across and rest my head on his lap and he strokes my hair. Thank you. I silently say.

"It's ok." He says. "Everything will be ok" and I almost believe it as I slowly fall asleep.

I must have been asleep for less than 10 minutes before I jolt awaking a loud noise coming from outside. Ian had left I guess when I fell asleep. Relax, I'm sure it's nothing. I reassure myself. Every noise scares me now. I think it's the killer coming for me.

My phone buzzes and I jump. With a shaky hand, I pick it up and look at who texted me. To my relief, it's Sarah.

For tomorrow, would you rather Doritos or Sun Chips?

Crap. I forgot about our sleepover tomorrow night.

Crap Sarah, I don't think I'll be able to go. It's been a hard few days.

I respond to her and almost immediately get a response.

What? No! You have to come! Come on.... it'll be fun!

I groan. I guess it would be nice...

Fine. I'll go. And Doritos obviously!

I click my phone off and walk into the bathroom. Even though it's only 8:00, I get ready for bed and take my memory pill. I slip under the covers and fall asleep almost instantly.

----------------------------------------------

Dream

"So do you want, like, fruity beer or hard beer?" Sarah asks as we walk up and down the aisles of the liquor store.

"I dunno." I respond, too caught up in looking at my new Instagram follower- who by the way is REALLY HOT.

"I'm thinking both." She says as she grabs two cases of each off the shelf.

"Woah if you drink all that you're gonna be out for a month! How are you paying for all this?" I ask.

"Ooh look! Alcoholic slushes!!!" She squeals, completely ignoring my question. I roll my eyes.

We bring the beer up to the counter and Sarah slaps down the fake ID. She looks so calm and normal, whereas I'm panicking that he won't accept it and frankly, I'm a bit tipsy. The guy at the cash looks at the ID, looks over his glasses at Sarah (who's just smirks) and starts putting the alcohol in bags. Sarah pays and we're off to get more snacks.

Everything is closed except for a small, sketchy convenience store about a 10 minute drive from the liquor store. The sketchy part doesn't seem to bother Sarah, though, because she marches right in the doors and starts picking out candy and chips.

We pick out some of our favourites, check out and get back in the car.

Sarah checks her phone and her face goes angry for a split second before returning to normal.

"Let's take the long way home" she says, pulling out of the parking lot.

"I don't wanna leave meg alone for that long. She's really drunk!" I say.

"She'll be fiiiiiiine." Sarah says, stretching out the "I".

We take the long way back to the cabin, blasting music over the radio. It's only when we're pulling in close to the cabin that we hear the scream.

----------------------------------------------

Even when I wake up, Meg's scream is still ringing in my ears. If we didn't take the long way home, meg would maybe still be here. If we didn't take so long at the liquor store, meg would maybe still be here. If we didn't leave meg alone that night, meg would maybe still be here. Alive. Not dead.

I burst into tears that make my heart feel shattered and my lungs feel on fire. I cry and cry until there are no tears left and I feel empty. I stay in bed for another hour before dragging myself out of bed.

I need you now. Can you come over? I text Aaron.

I can't. Sorry baby. He replies. My heart sinks.

Oh ok. Is all I say.

I peel off my clothes and hop in the shower, letting the warm water rush over my naked, emotionally broken body. I need to push on and just focus on the sleepover Sarah and I are having tonight.

I take a deep breath and start my day.