10

Lauren's POV

I re-read the note as my stomach ties itself in a knot. I feel sick. My vision starts to go blurry as tears fill my eyes and the world starts spinning. I have to shoot my hand out and grab onto the stair railing to stop from falling over. I just received a murder confession and a death threat, and I can't tell or show anyone.

I can't put the shard back or the police will find it, so I decided to take it and hide it. My hands are shaking and my knees are wobbly as a try to act casual walking by the police.

When I get to my car I burst into tears. Why me? Why meg? What did we do? I think as I start the car. I grip the steering wheel so hard my knuckles turn white. As I pull into my driveway, I notice another car I don't recognize parked on the street outside of my house. That's strange... I think.

I walk in the already unlocked door to find a surprise waiting for me.

Ian is sitting on one of the stools in the kitchen. As soon as he sees me he jumps up and pulls me into a big hug.

"Ian!!! What are you doing here? I thought you didn't get here for another 2 weeks!!!" I say, hugging him back. He's much taller and muscular, I almost didn't recognize him.

"Hey Laur! I've missed you! You look so much older! And I got permission to come home early!" He says with a goofy smile on his face.

"It's really good to see you." I say.

"How are you doing?" He asks, his expression changing to sad.

"I'm doing ok." I lie. "How are you?"

"It was a shock." Is all he says.

Just then, my phone buzzes. I look and see it's Sarah:
Guess who The police took in for questioning? Kyle Lanner. They think he could have something to do with the murder! Honestly, so do I. He's a psycho! I was so happy when he and Meghan split. Call me!

"Who's that?" Ian asks.

"It's Sarah." I say, distracted by the message.

"Ah Sarah! Does she still live in that same house down the street? I remember that house..." he goes on and on about the past but I can't focus.

I text back: I know! I ran into him one day at the bakery. He looked pretty rough.

"What's wrong, Laur?" Ian asks with a concerned expression. I must look upset.

"Nothing." I lie again. "I'm gonna go get changed and then we can go get lunch."

I run up the stairs before he can respond. I have to get rid of the shard before someone finds it. That could cause a lot of questions.

I peel off my clothes and throw on a summer dress. My hands are so shaky as I try to think off all the options of what to do with the shard. It's big enough that it could be a weapon used in a murder, and now it's in my possession! If I bury it, I risk it being found and then I'll have to explain why I buried it. If I keep it in my room I risk my mom finding it. I can't throw it away because it has my finger prints on it.

Oh god, what if it was used to kill Dr. Wilson, or Meghan?

I decide I need to bury it, but after I go to lunch with Ian. I need to get rid of it though; the blood is making me sick. I will keep the note though, as it can help as evidence in the end when- if this ever gets solved. Don't think like that. I think. We will figure this out.

"You ok up there?" I hear Ian call up. Crap, how long have I been up here?

"Ya, one sec!" I yell back. I quickly put my long hair into a messy bun, grab my purse and head back down the stairs.

"Where do you want to go for lunch?" I ask.

"On my way here I saw this cool Chinese restaurant?"

~later~

"Hey Sarah, it's me. Call me back asap. We need to talk. Oh also, Ian's back in town! Call me." I say on Sarah's answering machine. I want to know if she knows anything more about Kyle.

*BUZZZZZ BUZZZZZ*

My phone makes me jump as it starts to ring. It's Aaron.

"Hey baby, I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever! How are you doing?" He says. My heart races at the sound of his voice. I'm so lucky to have him.

"I'm alright." I lie. I'm so not alright, but I don't want him to worry. "I miss you. Do you want to come over tonight?  We can have a movie night! I need a distraction."

"Of course." He says and I can tell he's smiling. "But no chick flicks!"

I laugh. "No promises! Be here by 7:00."

"Sure. Bye babe. Love you"

"Love you too." We've been together for a while but he still makes me feel like we're the only two on earth. He's so amazing, I love him so much.

Before he comes over though, I need to get rid of this shard.

This is not going to be easy.