13

Lauren's POV

I was in the middle of cooking my lunch when I hear the doorbell ring. I gently place my spoon I was using to stir the noodles down onto the spoon rest. I wipe my hands on my skirt and open the door. There are two stern-looking police officers and a very angry police dog standing on the front steps.

"Hello-" I start.

"Are you Lauren McBonny?" The first officer says, interrupting me.

"Um, yes....?" I say hesitantly.

The officer holds up his badge along with an official looking paper. "We have a search warrant for your house. We have reason to believe you had something to do with the murder of Megan Sommers."

I gasp. "W-what?! How- who said-" I stutter, unable to finish my sentence.

"We are not allowed to share that information, but we received a tip from another suspect." He says as he pushes past me into the house.

Kyle. I think. It's his revenge for Sarah and I taking Meg's side in their relationship.

The police officers poke around the house for a while- luckily my mom isn't home or she would be fuming angry, even though I didn't do anything. The police dog is surprisingly quiet throughout the search.

"Everything looks fine here...." the same officer says, sounding even slightly disappointed. "We just need to check the backyard."

I nod, leading them to the back door. They step outside and the police dog immediately starts to bark crazily, attempting to jump off the short leash in the other officers hand. He lets the dog go and he runs straight over to where I buried the shard of glass.

Shit. I think. I knew I shouldn't have buried it! My stomach knots itself inside me and I feel sick in the anticipation of the officer digging in the spot of the shard. Unfortunately, I didn't bury it very deep, so the officer finds the plastic bag I hid it in very quickly. My face goes pale as he looks from the shard, to me and back at the shard again. I'm gonna be sick.

He takes out a device I've never seen before and scans the blood on the glass. It beeps, and he puts it back in its spot expressionlessly. He then crosses over to me and grabs my hands behind my back.

"Lauren McBonny, you are under arrest for the murder of Dr. Samuel Wilson and Meghan Sommers."