50. Did you just flick me?

(A/N: I know I'm the literal worst at updating, but I made it extra long to make up for it :) Just a little bit of context for this story, Will is an army doctor and is away, Nico stays home and works/watches their child. It's different than my Home is Where the Heart Is one shots so the kid will have a different name and stuff. I know most of the ones that I've read that are sorta similar have Nico being the one in the army so I wanted to change it up a bit. Requested by @nmknmp9708 and @crazykidnextdoor . Enjoy!)

- - - - -

Nico let tears stream down his face as he lay beside his daughter Allegra, who was finally allowed to join their family that day. He wept out of love for his adopted daughter (the paperwork was made official and she was allowed to live with him as of that morning) and he wept for the fact that his husband had never met her in person yet.

Will was deployed overseas and had to go back before things had moved along too far in the adoption process. The most he had seen were pictures. He was supposed to video call tonight, but Nico knew that plans like that were very loose. Which is why Nico always kept his phone on hand, always ready for a call or text from his husband, even if it got him in trouble at work sometimes.

He ran to his computer as quickly as he could when he heard it ringing. Allegra stirred but didn't wake up. He ran his fingers through his hair as he hit accept, his smile beaming. "Hey," Nico breathed out a content sigh when he finally saw his husband again.

"Where's my little girl?" Will was dressed in his uniform, and the bags under his eyes were impressive. He clearly hadn't shaved in a week or two. The room was loud around him, but he had headphones in.

"She's asleep, but I'll go get her. One moment," Nico put the laptop on the coffee table and went back to their room to grab their two year old daughter, waking her up in the process. "I'm sorry, but someone very special wants to meet you." She looked confused but followed Nico to the living room, sitting on his lap on the couch. "This is your Dad, Allegra. Can you say hi?"

Will didn't even try to hide the tears that were welling up in his eyes, and his next words sounded quite choked. "Hey beautiful! Your Papa and I have waited so long for you to join our little family."

Allegra had grown up neglected, and her speech was seriously delayed and we already had her on the waiting list for speech therapy. "Da." She leaned against Nico's chest and her eyes were closing, it was late and she'd had a very long, eventful day.

"That's right, I'm your Dad."

"I miss you so much." Nico hid the pain behind his words.

"I-" The connection was lost.

Nico brushed away the tears in his eyes before carrying Allegra gently to her own room and putting her to bed, kissing her softly on the top of her head. His phone buzzed and he saw he had an audio clip from Will. He already knew what it would say, but that didn't stop him from listening to it over and over again before sending one back. "I love you too."

- - - - -

Nico sat up with a groan. Last night Allegra refused to go to bed, and Nico needed coffee. Desperately. He had a system for mornings down pat. Get up early, get ready, get his daughters things together, do any last minute work he didn't finish the night before, and then wake up Allegra and they would eat breakfast together before he dropped her off at daycare.

He tried turning on his phone, but it was dead. He checked to make sure it was plugged in properly (he really needed a new charger). He got up and turned the light on but the room stayed dark. He flicked the switch a couple more times before checking his watch and seeing that he had twenty minutes to get him and his daughter out the door if he didn't want to be late. Merda. Stupid power outage.