84 - No, I Didn't Murder Them

84. "No, I didn't murder them. I accidentally knocked them unconscious forever, that's all."

- - - - -

"Nico?"

"Yeah?"

"Why is there a dead girl on our kitchen floor?" Will tone suggested that he was completely done with this shit, and wasn't even surprised that that was a question that would ever be uttered in the first place.

"No, I didn't murder them, if that's what you're asking."

"I wasn't-"

"I just accidentally knocked her unconscious forever, that's all." Nico shrugged, stepping over the body to get to the fridge and pulled out some food.

"Nico, that kills people. As a son of Hades, you should know this by now."

"Okay, so maybe I murdered her just a little bit, but it's not a mortal, it's an empousa. I requested a favour from Hades, so instead of disintegrating, I can dissect her."

"You are not dissecting anything in my kitchen. Bring her to the lab if you must, but feel free to just send her back to Tartarus where she belongs." Will regretted bringing up Tartarus as soon as he saw Nico's small form become rigid. "Babe, I'm sorry, I know better than to bring that place up." He too stepped over the dead body to wrap his arms around his husband, but Nico pulled away.

"It's fine. It shouldn't even bother me anymore, it's been years. I'll get over it." He put the food on the counter and excused himself to their room, leaving behind a very conflicted Will. In the end, Will decided it was better for him to join Nico than give him space to let his mind go back to the darkness right now. He had the courtesy of knocking first, though.

"Nico, darling, talk to me please." Will felt awful seeing his husband curled up on the bed, facing the wall. He came and sat on the bed, but Nico didn't move or acknowledge him. He came closer and wrapped his arms around him, and Nico finally turned around, hiding his face in Will's chest. He knew Nico would speak when he was ready, so until then he just held him tightly.

"I hate that it still affects me so much. It's been years. But every time I think about it, I'm instantly transported back to that stupid jar, feeling like I can't breathe, and seeing nothing but darkness so black it consumes your soul. Percy and Annabeth seem like they've completely moved on, and I just feel so damn weak, all the time." He let out a sob, shattering Will's heart into a million tiny pieces.

"They don't have it together, and they haven't moved on, I can guarantee it. It's not something that people move on from. You don't see them behind closed doors, just like they don't see you. For all we know, they might be jealous of how well you're handling everything." Will heard Nico scoff at that, but continued. "You are the strongest person I know."

"No, I'm not. You don't have to lie to make me feel better."

"Don't self-deprecate like that. Yu aren't allowed to insult the people I love, and that includes yourself. Three put-ups." He instructed, and Nico rolled his eyes but complied.

Maybe it was something Will did as a head counsellor in the Apollo cabin or the infirmary, Nico had no idea how it started, but every time someone said something mean to someone or about themselves, Will had them say three kind things. Nico struggled, but it honestly did help with how he viewed himself.

"I don't completely suck at sword fighting," He started but when He saw Will's frown, he corrected himself. "I'm a good swordfighter, I like the way my hair looks today, and I am the luckiest person in the world." He kissed Will softly.

"Mm, I could argue that I'm luckier. Now should we go deal with the girl you 'maybe murdered just a little bit?'"